Discuss Help need wiring a light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I’m trying to change a pendent light, I’ve wired it the same as the previous light that was on there however the light is now permanently on and the switch does not work, there are two line wires tied together, two neutrals and an earth wire. I took off the new pendent light and I wired up the previous light the same as it was before (line to line and neutral to neutral with one neutral into a wago connection hanging freely) and that is now staying permanently on. what is it I’m doing wrong?

Thank you for any advice.

It's definitely not wired as before.

Can you provide an image of the wiring?
Thanks for your reply, I’ve wired line to line and tried switching both neutrals around but yeah you’re probably right, I’ll attach a photo of the wiring going to the pendant, I’m not sure which wire comes from the fuse box and which wire comes from the switch.IMG_2680.jpeg

one of those blue wires is likely the N
the other is likely the switched live.
however it cant be ascertained which is which without some testing.
also the connector blocks shown in the picture are not suitable to be shoved through the hole in the ceiling so the new light fitting fits.
if you know anybody in the electrical trade, this is a great one to offer a beer to compensate for a few minutes work.
at least it will be safe and marked up correctly for anyone else that follows.

This is the wiring as it was?

I gather you connected the two lives to the live terminal and this is most likely to be why the light is on permanently.

Only one of those blue wires will be neutral and the other a switched live.

This is the wiring as it was?

I gather you connected the two lives to the live terminal and this is most likely to be why the light is on permanently.

Only one of those blue wires will be neutral and the other a switched live.
Yes, they were already tied together and connected up to the live wire of the pendent light and one of the neutral wires connected up to the neutral wire of the pendant light. Are you able to advise how it should be connected up? Would be appreciated. I have the two live wires, one neutral and one switch live and two earths. On the pendant there is a live, a neutral and an earth. Thank you.

And I agree with James that this is definitely not a suitable way to terminate cables in a ceiling void.

The rose which has been removed acted as a junction for the pendant which hung below. These terminations need to be suitably enclosed and consideration given to earthing requirements of the replacement light fitting.

one of those blue wires is likely the N
the other is likely the switched live.
however it cant be ascertained which is which without some testing.
also the connector blocks shown in the picture are not suitable to be shoved through the hole in the ceiling so the new light fitting fits.
if you know anybody in the electrical trade, this is a great one to offer a beer to compensate for a few minutes work.
at least it will be safe and marked up correctly for anyone else that follows.
Thank you, I may have to if I’m not able to sort it myself. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, they were already tied together and connected up to the live wire of the pendent light and one of the neutral wires connected up to the neutral wire of the pendant light. Are you able to advise how it should be connected up? Would be appreciated. I have the two live wires, one neutral and one switch live and two earths. On the pendant there is a live, a neutral and an earth. Thank you.

The browns will have been connected together in the central terminal of the rose, but they definitely weren't connected to the live going out to the pendant (if all information in opening post is correct).

And I agree with James that this is definitely not a suitable way to terminate cables in a ceiling void.

The rose which has been removed acted as a junction for the pendant which hung below. These terminations need to be suitably enclosed and consideration given to earthing requirements of the replacement light fitting.
How should I enclose them correctly?

Again assuming all information in opening post is correct; the two browns remain connected together, but not to anything else.

One blue is neutral and must be connected to neutral terminal of light fitting. The other is switched live (it should be identifed as such) and is connected to live terminal of light fitting.

There is no way of telling which is which without some basic testing being carried out.

Again assuming all information in opening post is correct; the two browns remain connected together, but not to anything else.

One blue is neutral and must be connected to neutral terminal of light fitting. The other is switched live (it should be identifed as such) and is connected to live terminal of light fitting.

There is no way of telling which is which without some basic testing being carried out.
Thank you for your help

So I should connect the switch live to the love of the pendant correct?

We don't know which is the switched live. Trial and error isn't a suitable method of testing. I would advise, as other have, that you get an electrician in. They'll be able to quickly determine which wire is which and place the terminations in a suitable enclosure.

We don't know which is the switched live. Trial and error isn't a suitable method of testing. I would advise, as other have, that you get an electrician in. They'll be able to quickly determine which wire is which and place the terminations in a suitable enclosure.
Ok, I’ll do that, thank you for your help again, could you tell me what I should put the wires in to instead of them wagos? Thanks.

Reply to Help need wiring a light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net