Search the forum,

Discuss Clarification on Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

harrison2987

I am a fully qualified time served electrician but keep getting asked by customers if I am 'Part P'. Am I right in saying Part P is simply for builders/wannabe electricians, who wish to install electrics legitimately by taking a short course? I have never been clear on the purpose of Part P so if anyone can enlighten me I would be grateful :)

Part P is a section of the building regs concerning domestic electrics. All installations must comply with it, and some jobs legally have to be notified to building control. You, as a spark, can't 'have' Part P. But you must comply with it. The main hurdle is the notification part. It's very expensive to go directly through your local building control, hence these Part P competent persons schemes exist, so you pay a flat fee for yearly membership and that allows you to notify jobs through them for only a few quid each time.

Part P covers which work in domestic situations is notifiable to building control, go to the planning portal and download the approved document. Self certification schemes exist that allow you to notify through these without paying LABC's exorbitant fees. Take a look at NAPIT, Elecsa, NICEIC, Stroma, BSI for details of how to join their schemes.

part p means that to do notifiable work, LABC need to be notified. this can be done by notifying them b4 you start and paying them a ransom for each job, or joining a scam and paying an annual ransom.

No, any work carried out on a domestic property that involves additions to circuits, new circuits, bathroom or kitchen work has to be notified to building control, the easiest way to do this is to join a part p scheme who do the notifying for you once you have submitted them with the cert for the job.

So therfore if you carry out any of the above then you need to register with Elecsa, Napit, NIC or any of the orher providers.

in simple terms, you have to pay fat cats in order to be able to work legally. only applies to ethnic brits in england and wales. scotland and ireland have more sense, and the eastern europeans don't give a ----.

Are you telling me that you are doing electrical installation in domestic properties and you are not part p qualified
Whatever next ?

Even JIB qualified gold card holders can't do domestics unless they can pass their part p

Us part p painters had to pay a lot of money to be part p and it seems to be unfair that electricians think they can just get on with doing electrical installation without taking the 3 day course and being part p qualified

Ahem,amateurs playing with dangerous electrics without their part p qualification is pretty poor form I would say

Thanks guys, so basically even though I have a 2391 and am classed as a competent person to sign off work on that basis, for it to be legal I must register with a scheme like mentioned above??! And in doing so I then become Part P compliant?? Without the backing of a scheme will any work I do be legitimate?

it will be against part p of the building regs. and that is statutory. if you do notifiable work, produce a certificate, you'll only get hung, drawn and quatered if something goes wrong.

I have dealt with building control before either myself or through builders and asked the question whether they wanted a scheme registered electrician. Some said yes and I didn't undertake the work, but some said as long as I sent them a copy of my 2391 that would be fine. Can anyone explain why that might be after some of the above points.

sarcastic??? after doing a 3 year apperenticeship in interior design? first year was washing paint brushes, 2nd year on stirring paint. in final year managed to actually apply some paint to a wall in a carefully controlled laboratory rig, with HSE on standby with the fire brigade just in case he mixed oil paint with water based paint. additional year to get part pee in hanging wallpaper with the shiny side out. phew, too technical for me. think i'll be a plumber. all you have to do is turn up on a site where nothing is wrong and cause a flood of biblical proportions.

You paint a scary picture tel
icon12.png

Building Control interpretation and application of Part P can vary from council to council. Some are pretty lax, others are red-hot. Easiest way, if you plan to do lots of notifiable work, is to go with one of the schemes and cut them out completely. Until things change for the better, we're stuck with this farsicle situation where a time served fully qualified spark is outranked on paper by a kitchen fitter or carpet fitter who's done a 3 day course.

But I'm not bitter.

I am a fully qualified time served electrician but keep getting asked by customers if I am 'Part P'. Am I right in saying Part P is simply for builders/wannabe electricians, who wish to install electrics legitimately by taking a short course? I have never been clear on the purpose of Part P so if anyone can enlighten me I would be grateful :)

Others have explained what it is all about, but you need to download 'Approved Document P' and read through it. This explains what you need to do and how you can comply and so on with Part P.

Enjoy! bedtime reading! not.

Cheers.............Howard.

Reply to Clarification on Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock