Discuss CPS schemes and Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I am looking to join a CPS. I have looked at NIC Napit and Blue Flame. Just for a small cost difference Napit a Nic look to be a better option.

Anyway, I thought I understood the whole part p thing but having a recent discussion with a sparky friend of mine today he said the following,

"so have you got part p?" Pretty sure I came to the conclusion that my qualifications negated the need for me to take a separate course on part p.

I asked him why I would need it and he said that it's a requirement to join a scheme and that even after joining a scheme I am still required to be "part p registered"

Ffs...can someone just clearly explain this clearly. It seems a grey area. Am I required to be part p registered somewhere separately before joining a scheme?

Part Pee is a building regulation

You join a domestic electricians CPS Scam so that you can 'self certify' your own wiring work without having to pay to have the old building inspector check it

It really is simple as that , the Scam cuts out the middle man the Building inspector

You join a domestic electricians CPS Scam so that you can 'self certify' your own wiring work without having to pay to have the old building inspector check it

It really is simple as that , the Scam cuts out the middle man the Building inspector

Yeh I understand part p is just 1 section of the building regulations.

So do I need to take a course on part p or join a scheme specific to part p?

My initial thought before the conversation with my friend was that the domestic scheme would include any work that falls under part p. Meaning, I don't need to be part of any other scheme, its covered under the CPS?

I'm not CPS registered. I planned to do a CU replacement for myself and a friend after he was let down last year.

I rang our local building control and explained that I was competent to do the work, just not a member of a scheme and asked how much they would charge me to come and inspect it and what sort of notice they'd need.

They absolutely could not give a ----. They said I was the first person to ask this in nearly 10 years and they don't actually have anyone (staff or subcontractor) who can do electrical inspections. They told me to do the work, then just get a CPS registered spark to come and do an EICR afterwards as it will be cheaper and easier.

I'm not CPS registered. I planned to do a CU replacement for myself and a friend after he was let down last year.

I rang our local building control and explained that I was competent to do the work, just not a member of a scheme and asked how much they would charge me to come and inspect it and what sort of notice they'd need.

They absolutely could not give a ----. They said I was the first person to ask this in nearly 10 years and they don't actually have anyone (staff or subcontractor) who can do electrical inspections. They told me to do the work, then just get a CPS registered spark to come and do an EICR afterwards as it will be cheaper and easier.
Sounds about right to be fair , I get about 3 or 4 phone calls a months from people who have done their own work like wiring up their own extension and want an EICR done on their work.
I tell them to ring building control to get it signed off , about a week later they call me back saying building control don't sign off wiring and they will need an EICR 🧐

From my experience most building inspectors will accept an EICR to get a job signed off , not strictly the correct way of doing things but win win as I get paid and the job gets signed off

Which idiot would sign somebodys else work, especially Eicr, we have had this discussion thousand times NICEIC don't want you to part P other peaple work, only NAPIT, does thrid party. But saying this let it be on your own head, where somebody will take you out to a field and shoot you.
If you see a house burns down and you cop for the lot.

Which idiot would sign somebodys else work, especially Eicr, we have had this discussion thousand times NICEIC don't want you to part P other peaple work, only NAPIT, does thrid party. But saying this let it be on your own head, where somebody will take you out to a field and shoot you.
If you see a house burns down and you cop for the lot.
You aren't really signing off someone else's work though? You're doing testing and an inspection (with stated limitations) to assess how safe the installation is. That's not the same as taking on the liability if the house burns down is it?

An EICR guarantees nothing , it is just a test on the house fixed wiring and you code any issues you see with it.
At best it offers the home owner and building control a piece of paper to suggest the fixed wiring meets the current regs.
No different than an MOT on an old car, it just says its safe to continue using it. It makes no such guarantee that the car will never go wrong...

An EICR after installation of the whole lot is not as thorough as an EIC for initial verification of the additions/alterations.
The level of scrutiny of the new work will be lower and some tests can’t be as readily conducted once everything is 2nd fixed and in use.
If building control is really offering that advice maybe we should all leave our CPS schemes en masse as it’s simply money down the drain.

Reply to CPS schemes and Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net