Search the forum,

Discuss CO2 concentrations break through the 400ppm barrier for first time in 800,000 years in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: CO2 concentrations break through the 400ppm barrier for first time in 800,000 yea

So we had the technology to measure this 800,000 years ago

Our climate is affected by more than our own excesses not least the rest of the solar system

Climate change is just part of the evolution of the solar system and galaxy of which we are a part by reducing carbon emissions are we going to slow down the evolution of the rest of the solar system I think not

We have a number of planets some which have a moon or more all circling the sun at different speeds and in different orbits does any one know what happens when they roughly form a line to one side of the sun (not sure when this will happen) does something go bang

Back in the last ice age did some one get worried about global warming then, look how much it has warmed up from then or prior to the ice age was there panic because it was cooling down

Unfortunately we have no historic records to refer to prove anything at best climate change is based on 200 - 250 years of records not the complete history of this planet called Earth

This whole subject has evolved from global warming to climate change yet there is little mentioned about the rest of the solar system and it's part in our life apart from solar activity from the sun affecting communications here

This IMO is just another expensive inconclusive on going study that is costing millions and actually proving nothing other than we are heading to another big bang and a planet or solar system reset

Re: CO2 concentrations break through the 400ppm barrier for first time in 800,000 yea

I would agree with most of what you have written, the Ice melted without the 4x4's and industry "warming up our planet".

But, there is always a but, do you think it is a good idea to keep digging up all the carbon, coal, oil and gas and then releasing it into the atmosphere?

It can not be helping the situation, and we do have viable alternatives that are now available to supply energy, but as I wrote in a previous post, it is all about money, lots of money..

Our climate is affected by more than our own excesses not least the rest of the solar system

Climate change is just part of the evolution of the solar system and galaxy of which we are a part by reducing carbon emissions are we going to slow down the evolution of the rest of the solar system I think not

We have a number of planets some which have a moon or more all circling the sun at different speeds and in different orbits does any one know what happens when they roughly form a line to one side of the sun (not sure when this will happen) does something go bang

Back in the last ice age did some one get worried about global warming then, look how much it has warmed up from then or prior to the ice age was there panic because it was cooling down

Unfortunately we have no historic records to refer to prove anything at best climate change is based on 200 - 250 years of records not the complete history of this planet called Earth

This whole subject has evolved from global warming to climate change yet there is little mentioned about the rest of the solar system and it's part in our life apart from solar activity from the sun affecting communications here

This IMO is just another expensive inconclusive on going study that is costing millions and actually proving nothing other than we are heading to another big bang and a planet or solar system reset

So all the carbon we send out is having no effect in speeding things up ?

But not enough. Britain's effort has been utterly pathetic.

We can start worrying about India and China when we've sorted our own mess out.

I prefer Sean Lock's take on recycling & our countrys efforts- " like turning up to an earthquake with a dustpan & brush".

Surely its a better idea that the 5 billion (or so) in india, china, US , did their bit? I think then me washing out marmite jars will become fairly insignificant!!!

You've presumably studied the subject in depth before deciding the consensus opinions of those who've spent their lifetimes studying the subject in detail is wrong?

unlikely, but if you were to take a huge core drill & drill a 3.2km core out of the deepest bits of the Antarctic ice sheets, then painstakingly analyse the minute air bubbles trapped in each years snow layers, you'd be able to accurately work out what the atmospheric CO2 concentration was 800,000 years ago.

Or rather you would if you were a scientist trained in that sort of thing and prepared to spend years working in Antarctica in the most extreme conditions on the planet to get this data only to find it then dismissed by numpties on the internet who know nothing about the subject.

yes, and solar output has decreased slightly since precise satellite measurements of the total solar irradiation reaching the outer atmosphere began 35 years ago, which categorically proves that it's not the sun what dunnit. In fact the reductions in solar output mean that they've actually helped mask the impact from the increased greenhouse gas concentrations.

come again?

brief eclipses of the sun on all the planets, probably hippies will bang on about it quite a bit, then nothing much else. What were you thinking might happen?

I'd imagine many did get worried about it and rightly so, although there was nobody back then to predict it, and nothing they could do to prevent it.

It was responsible for the mass migration of a huge proportion of the human and animal population, likely caused the eventual demise of neanderthal man, led to most of northern Europe and America being uninhabitable for several millenia, then being rapidly repopulated once the ice started to thaw.

you might not, but the totality of science actually has a huge amount of data relating to the historic climate of the planet gathered from a wide variety of proxy sources.

The only reason for the process being mostly referred to as climate change as opposed to global warming is down to the perception that stemmed from the global warming name, that 'well we wouldn't mind it being a bit warmer in the UK anyway, so what's the problem'.

The name 'climate change' more accurately reflects the fact that it's not about some average level of warming across the globe, but about the huge and varied impacts this will have on all aspects of the climate all over the planet.

I've no idea what you're meaning when referring to the rest of the solar system tbh.

I prefer Sean Lock's take on recycling & our countrys efforts- " like turning up to an earthquake with a dustpan & brush".

Surely its a better idea that the 5 billion (or so) in india, china, US , did their bit? I think then me washing out marmite jars will become fairly insignificant!!!
but average consumption levels in India and China are already far lower than here, so why should they do their bit if you won't do yours?

said it before and i,ll say it again,this global warming is a part of a natural cycle it,s going to happen no matter what we do!The only thingthat does matter is not falling for all the crap spouted by the government,lets face it if it were possible to change things then it would be done without ripping everyone off.make it dearer to use non energy efficient products than green ones,but no they want to put everyone on a guilt trip and take more cash lets face it they tell us to use smaller cars and public transport or walk,well how come they send out 1 minister in a big v6 jag etc.Sorry if this offends anybody but I think that anyone who can,t see whats happening needs to look closer and anyone who falls for all this government clap trap should be locked up in a padded room.rant over!

I would agree with most of what you have written, the Ice melted without the 4x4's and industry "warming up our planet".

But, there is always a but, do you think it is a good idea to keep digging up all the carbon, coal, oil and gas and then releasing it into the atmosphere?

It can not be helping the situation, and we do have viable alternatives that are now available to supply energy, but as I wrote in a previous post, it is all about money, lots of money..

Strange you don't mention the Toyota Prius about as unenvironmentally friendly as you can get

So all the carbon we send out is having no effect in speeding things up ?

Not sure it is

You've presumably studied the subject in depth before deciding the consensus opinions of those who've spent their lifetimes studying the subject in detail is wrong?

unlikely, but if you were to take a huge core drill & drill a 3.2km core out of the deepest bits of the Antarctic ice sheets, then painstakingly analyse the minute air bubbles trapped in each years snow layers, you'd be able to accurately work out what the atmospheric CO2 concentration was 800,000 years ago.

Or rather you would if you were a scientist trained in that sort of thing and prepared to spend years working in Antarctica in the most extreme conditions on the planet to get this data only to find it then dismissed by numpties on the internet who know nothing about the subject.

yes, and solar output has decreased slightly since precise satellite measurements of the total solar irradiation reaching the outer atmosphere began 35 years ago, which categorically proves that it's not the sun what dunnit. In fact the reductions in solar output mean that they've actually helped mask the impact from the increased greenhouse gas concentrations.

come again?

brief eclipses of the sun on all the planets, probably hippies will bang on about it quite a bit, then nothing much else. What were you thinking might happen?

I'd imagine many did get worried about it and rightly so, although there was nobody back then to predict it, and nothing they could do to prevent it.

It was responsible for the mass migration of a huge proportion of the human and animal population, likely caused the eventual demise of neanderthal man, led to most of northern Europe and America being uninhabitable for several millenia, then being rapidly repopulated once the ice started to thaw.

you might not, but the totality of science actually has a huge amount of data relating to the historic climate of the planet gathered from a wide variety of proxy sources.

The only reason for the process being mostly referred to as climate change as opposed to global warming is down to the perception that stemmed from the global warming name, that 'well we wouldn't mind it being a bit warmer in the UK anyway, so what's the problem'.

The name 'climate change' more accurately reflects the fact that it's not about some average level of warming across the globe, but about the huge and varied impacts this will have on all aspects of the climate all over the planet.

I've no idea what you're meaning when referring to the rest of the solar system tbh.

Your response is typical of what happens when someone casts doubt on climate change and doesn't warrant a response other than to object to the derogatory term used part way through which could be used against yourself

HERE HERE! nice one U N G no mention by our learned friend of the emminent scientist who had evidence to prove that global warming was a cyclical event and who was threatened with ruin by government bodies!

Your response is typical of what happens when someone casts doubt on climate change and doesn't warrant a response other than to object to the derogatory term used part way through which could be used against yourself
and I suppose you had perfectly valid answers to my points as well.

eta for the record though, that was a generic reference to numpties on the internet who come up with this rubbish, not specifically to you personally. I can see why you might have thought I was referring to you mind.

Last edited:

said it before and i,ll say it again,this global warming is a part of a natural cycle it,s going to happen no matter what we do!The only thingthat does matter is not falling for all the crap spouted by the government,lets face it if it were possible to change things then it would be done without ripping everyone off.make it dearer to use non energy efficient products than green ones,but no they want to put everyone on a guilt trip and take more cash lets face it they tell us to use smaller cars and public transport or walk,well how come they send out 1 minister in a big v6 jag etc.Sorry if this offends anybody but I think that anyone who can,t see whats happening needs to look closer and anyone who falls for all this government clap trap should be locked up in a padded room.rant over!
so us adding approaching 40% to the atmospheric concentration of CO2 to the atmosphere from fossil reserves that have been trapped underground for hundreds of millions of years is just part of a natural cycle?

or is it the solar cycle that you're referring to? The solar cycle that's resulted in a reduction in solar output over the 35 years of satellite measurement at the same time as the earths temperatures have been rising?

UNG, not sure why you mentioned a Toyota in reply to my post, my question was about releasing buried carbon, that was all.

Phil, read post 7.

HERE HERE! nice one U N G no mention by our learned friend of the emminent scientist who had evidence to prove that global warming was a cyclical event and who was threatened with ruin by government bodies!
It's a bit hard to respond to that without knowing who or what you're talking about.

I'll respond in general though to say that arguments about a conspiracy or cover up, or refusal to publish contrary results actually fall flat on their face when someone actually puts them to the test, as happened when a BBC correspondent publicly requested any researchers who've had such papers rejected to contact him with evidence of this.

Of the three papers I did receive, one was far from complete, and another was a review article from an author who endorsed the IPCC position and said the bias was against scientists "supporting man-made climate change".

The third was from Reid Bryson, a US meteorologist and climatologist whose team at the University of Wisconsin has developed its own method of looking at historical climate change.
He said he had had problems getting research published on the extent to which he believes volcanoes drive climate change.
But he had not kept his rejection letters, so it was impossible to investigate specifically.
[bbc]

So when it comes down to it, the reason there's very little in the way of evidence against anthropogenic climate change in the published science doesn't seem to have much if anything to do with any sort of bias, or threats (unless you're saying this guy was so scared he wouldn't even respond to the BBC).

eta for the record though, that was a generic reference to numpties on the internet who come up with this rubbish, not specifically to you personally. I can see why you might have thought I was referring to you mind.

I did not take it as a reference only to myself to deride any objector as a numpty just because they don't agree with your science is derogatory and shows that your only response to their view is to call them names

UNG, not sure why you mentioned a Toyota in reply to my post, my question was about releasing buried carbon, that was all.

Apologies misread your post was highlighting how ungreen a Prius is

It's a bit hard to respond to that without knowing who or what you're talking about.

I'll respond in general though to say that arguments about a conspiracy or cover up, or refusal to publish contrary results actually fall flat on their face when someone actually puts them to the test, as happened when a BBC correspondent publicly requested any researchers who've had such papers rejected to contact him with evidence of this.

[bbc]

So when it comes down to it, the reason there's very little in the way of evidence against anthropogenic climate change in the published science doesn't seem to have much if anything to do with any sort of bias, or threats (unless you're saying this guy was so scared he wouldn't even respond to the BBC).

Somebody cast doubt on WMD and was found with his wrists slashed need any more be said

If it was found it was the crock of ???? it is it would mean one or two less holidays for the government leaders every year

Apology accepted, so what about my question
should we keep digging up all this carbon and release it into the atmosphere ?

Apology accepted, so what about my question
should we keep digging up all this carbon and release it into the atmosphere ?

Is it doing the damage it is claimed to be doing but then what is the alternative can any thing be truly carbon neutral?

Unless we have a radical change and return to a time before all the modern conveniences we are all used to like the car, global travel and the plethora of electrical items we all have then I think we are stuck with a carbon economy as most if not all things have a carbon content including ourselves

Well I do not know if it is doing the damage that is claimed, it all depends on who is claiming I would think.
but my thoughts are it can not be helping, well can it?

I do except that we have all got used to these comforts, the problem is the revenue that is raised through taxes is now relied on,(and wasted), there are many other options available, but they would stop all this revenue, it is not what may be better for the environment.

If I could offer you a way to heat your home, run your TV, boil your kettle, and transport you and yours around the roads with no running costs, would you be interested?

Do you think the oil companies and governments would welcome such a thing?

Over the last few years I have been researching alternatives, and it is amazing what has been achieved, but it is not allowed into the public domain.

Politics......

Money talks and planet earth has no cash, we can live without cash but I think we need the planet.

Reply to CO2 concentrations break through the 400ppm barrier for first time in 800,000 years in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock