Discuss Connections to a pump motor. in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I have a pump that has basically been ripped of a folding machine, no cable, instructions, diagrams left for me. What would the two black wires normally be used for. The motor is 3 phase, and the brass links are set for star so was thinking would they be the nuetral?
Any help and suggestions welcome
Pump Motor term box.jpg

Just been given a stack of papers in which there is a wiring diagram. It shows it as being a thermal sensor. Would this mean having to use a 6 core cable to the pump.

I'll scan the page in and post it.

The thermal switch is optional normally and allows for an extra degree of protection, if it wasnt wired in before i dont see reason to now although assuming the motor has overload protection already all the thermal cutout will do is cut power before damage is caused to the winding if say the motor ran too hot as the overload may not see this until the winding overheat, this could occur if the impellor was broken or the motor air flow was restricted by something hence it overheats, you have to way up the risk of this and the consequences if it occured.
Obviously the thermal switch needs to be part of the stop or e-stop circuit to shut the motor down.

Last edited:
Hi

the two black wires will be for a thermister which is built into the motor windings, for this to be used in your motor control circuit you will need a thermister relay which has a contact which the control voltage is disconnected to the control in the event the motor gets too hot and protects it from overheating, dropping out the motor contactor.
The pump would run without this safety feature but may overheat and fail for obvious reasons.
the three phase is wired in the normal way.

Nice one guys. Looking at the 2nd picture in post 4, am i correct in saying that the thermal overload will be taken back to terminals 32 and 33 in the machines wiring panel?

i dont think there is a 'normal', in our factory all control wiring is orange sheathed and this is what i would use for thermistor monitoring, a few points ive picked up using thermistor monitoring relays, if star/delta motor, ensure the control circuit doesnt allow the motor to restart in delta after cooling and ive found it beneficial to wire a time delay so as the motor doesnt start as soon as the windings drop below the temperature threshold as 'cycling' will ocurr, ie, your winding temp will float above and below the thermistor cut out and stopping and starting the motor will aggravate your problem.

This may be a simple question to most of you but here goes. Looking at the diagram I have, it seem as though the wrong set of terminals are linked out (as supplied).

Which set would I connect my L1 L2 L3 to? The linked or the non linked?

Thanks again people

Reply to Connections to a pump motor. in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net