Discuss Consumer Unit Installation Up to Scratch??? NICEIC approved Installer. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

In any event, lack of bonding of services is potentially dangerous and needs to be implemented a.s.a.p. It is TN-C-S. The three neutrals into one needs further investigation and appropriate action taken to rectify if needed, which I imagine it certainly will be. You seem to have proved the Zs is satisfactory so therefore will meet required disconnection times assuming you did Zs on up and down ring. You did not mention the Pfc, which might be interesting to have a stroll around to ensure equipment installed can take the fault current.

In any event, lack of bonding of services is potentially dangerous and needs to be implemented a.s.a.p. It is TN-C-S. The three neutrals into one needs further investigation and appropriate action taken to rectify if needed, which I imagine it certainly will be. You seem to have proved the Zs is satisfactory so therefore will meet required disconnection times assuming you did Zs on up and down ring. You did not mention the Pfc, which might be interesting to have a stroll around to ensure equipment installed can take the fault current.
Cheers. I'll certainly have another look and check pfc as well.

Sorry my mistake. The Ze was 0.3. I did a quick pefc I think it was, and it was nice and high. Could've been 1600amp.

It was my house that was 0.19Ze and that's definitely a tns.

Sorry my mistake. The Ze was 0.3. I did a quick pefc I think it was, and it was nice and high. Could've been 1600amp.

It was my house that was 0.19Ze and that's definitely a tns.
You cannot base the earthing system from a Ze

With Amd 3 pfc is calculated as 230 x.95 (Cmin) = 218.5/0.3 = .73 Ka (pg. 127 GN3) Not that it makes much difference but it certainly would if you had 0.03 which is becoming more common. I think you need to set your loop test to high output as no trip loop test can be innacurate especially on Ze test.

Thanks everyone. Plenty for me to think about which is exactly what I need!

My understanding is any incoming metal service pipework needs to be earthed regardless? Incidentally, just found out my friend was charged for the bonding and meter tails upgrade whatever the requirements are!

Thanks everyone. Plenty for me to think about which is exactly what I need!

My understanding is any incoming metal service pipework needs to be earthed regardless? Incidentally, just found out my friend was charged for the bonding and meter tails upgrade whatever the requirements are!

"Bonded"
shinypen,Bonded

He was more than likely stung by a not too rare company which has been badged by the naughty Niceic money grabbers
Maybe the type of courses that enable registration these days promotes standards that are questionable all too often

Think there will come a time when you are better off using a contractor not in a scheme.

Cmin isn't factored
Better tell the people who wrote GN3.
  • Fault current, I = U0 × Cmin /Zs
where:

U0 is the nominal voltage to Earth,

Cmin is the minimum voltage factor to take account of voltage variations depending on time and place, changing of transformer taps and other considerations.
Pg. 127

Last edited by a moderator:
Better tell the people who wrote GN3.
I don't have my copy on me at present to verify this, but remember this is only a guide book and does not form part of the Wiring Regulations, and indeed may contain errors!

@Risteard If you look in the regs at 411.4.5 411.5.4 etc. and onwards you will see Cmin is factored in to Zs x Ia < Uo x Cmin. Although they dont actually give that formula it is clear in BS7671 it is meant to be factored in by impication. btw I quoted the GN3 verbatim and page number. Although I do agree the Cmax factor may be more appropriate as a safety margin.

There is a difference between the prospective fault current and the fault current calculated from the I = U0 × Cmin /Zs formula.
In the second case this formula is being used to determine the trip time of a protective device and so should be the lowest value of fault current that may occur on the installation.
Where you are determining the prospective fault current this is to ensure that the protective device an handle this current so you are determining the maximum expected value that may occur on the installation.
Any protective device must be capable of operating quickly enough at the lowest fault current and also capable of withstanding the highest fault current.

Reply to Consumer Unit Installation Up to Scratch??? NICEIC approved Installer. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock