Discuss Does anyone still use connector block..? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I try to be equipped with the best solution for every possible situation, not just one that works. There are some situations where therminal block is the best solution, so...View attachment 60567
hope you've got plenty of tape to wrap them in.

I recently changed eight incandescent downlights to LED's, the originals where all connected with screw connector block, most where OK, but a few had deteriorated to the point of falling apart when trying to unscrew the connector? probably overheated in the insulated ceiling space, used Wago's and Wagobox's to install the LED downlighters, these seem to be a bit on the sparse side at the factors, perhaps it's because I bought them all :yum: Lighting connector (294-4013) | WAGO GB - https://www.wago.com/gb/field-wiring-terminal-blocks/lighting-connector/p/294-4013

nowt wrong with a wire nut if done correctly
nowt wrong with a wire nut if done correctly
Quite right Dustydazzler! I looked after ten American textile machines for fifteen years with all control wiring connected up with lots of wirenuts and not one of them ever failed or caused a problem, despite vibration! That said, I have never used Wirenuts myself. I still use screw connectors for temporary work, but Wagos are my first port of call for permanent ones.

How so? Central heating wiring normally includes a lot of flex, which then needs ferrules fitted to go into the screw terminals of connector blocks.
When’s the last time you opened a wiring centre that wasn’t yours to find ferrules on the end of cables. I’ve never seen one in my life, normally a nest of cables.

Wagos for everything now, even temporary joints and testing, just use the 221 series. Wholesalers say that they still sell the same amount of standard connectors as ever.

I honestly don’t think in 20 years that I have ever seen a Single Site sparks ferrule a flex...ever

i have seen a few youtuber electricians ferrule the cut ends on the blue fly leads on Rcbos but always presume that is just for show to ‘look good’ on video for their followers...

Not specifically those, but some IP65 downlights I put in recently had a very similar thing in the driver. A bit tight for two sets of 1.5mm T&E as they daisy-chain, really better to use 1mm these days!
I fitted 5 customer supplied DLs recently which had push fit connections and 2 x 1.5s were an absolute pig to fit in neatly

1mm would have been much easier...

I like those choc blocks that have been exposed to direct sunlight and heat for a few years, very crumbly...

Not specifically those, but some IP65 downlights I put in recently had a very similar thing in the driver. A bit tight for two sets of 1.5mm T&E as they daisy-chain, really better to use 1mm these days!
i've seen them in downlights. only drawback is 1 side is for solid cables only.

True, but they take two solid cable of 2.0mm on one side or 1.5mm and the other side its a cage push lever witch will take two 1.5mm solid or multi core, and obviously 1.0mm as well, IMO they can't be beaten.

I bow to your superior knowledge, I have only seen the Wago's with the push button cage to secure multi strand and push in connections for solid core, most light fittings now days have multi strand and can't be used in a push fit connector, can you provide a link to these fifteen your old ones?

Quite right Dustydazzler! I looked after ten American textile machines for fifteen years with all control wiring connected up with lots of wirenuts and not one of them ever failed or caused a problem, despite vibration! That said, I have never used Wirenuts myself. I still use screw connectors for temporary work, but Wagos are my first port of call for permanent ones.

I'm saying this before I read any further comments. Wirenuts are THE sh*t! those Ideals with the extra apron... don't get a better connection then that, when spun-on proper. I've used wagos in the early 2000s, & they were (IMHO) crap. The connection relies on a thin strip of metal to make a pressure connection which inevitably gives out & causes arcing which can cause fires or heat. Now, perhaps they've improved the manufacture of Wagos?
I've personally opened boxes of wirenut connections 100 years old that still worked well. Onthe off occasion, in a hot attic, the plastic showed some sign of deterioration, but still worked.
I maybe a Neanderthal for still using wire nuts almost exclusively, but I trust every connection I've made with them since my apprentice days.
You may pile on the insults now...LOL

PS.I have used connector block in certain situations, mostly for low voltage applications.

Last edited:

Reply to Does anyone still use connector block..? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net