Currently reading:
downlight guards

Discuss downlight guards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

you need to keep the insulation away from the immediate vicinity of the fittings. how you do this is up to you. personally, i just tear it out of the way.

I tend to use guards even with LED lights. I'm sure if you remove to much insulation this can create a cold spot and if the property is poorly ventilated damp marks could appear around lights. Better to keep insulation intact if possible. Obviously add the cost of the guard to the price.

When I fitted 8 halogen units to my house ten years ago I built boxes out of plasterboard to keep the insulation off (due to having loads of offcuts in the garage). Dropped the units down a few months ago and there's no sign of heat whatsoever. During those 10 years I've replaced 1 lamp.

My point was, that as LED lamp produce very little heat is there still a need to fit the guards, given that they're a tenner each. Regarding the plant pot solution it would look a little unprofessional to put plant pots in a customers attic:)

Just leave a gap in the insulation around the fitting. Or give the customer the choice. Regarding using LED lamps, well you could probably cover the fitting with insulation and be ok (don't actually do this), but what's stopping someone replacing them with halogens??

My point was, that as LED lamp produce very little heat is there still a need to fit the guards, given that they're a tenner each. Regarding the plant pot solution it would look a little unprofessional to put plant pots in a customers attic:)

There are some units designed to allow insulation directly on top of them, but most will require a minimum air gap to maximise their lifespan. The simple answer is just that...simple.... Follow manufacturers instructions :)

Reply to downlight guards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock