Currently reading:
electrical problems at welders yard, supply mystery?

Discuss electrical problems at welders yard, supply mystery? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

scary cakes

Hi All,
I attended a welders yard today with numerous electrical problems.
Very old insatallation in poor condition, never had a PIR and no sign of any maintenance, a total mess.
Firstly they had a large 3 phase pillar drill whose metal casing went live when switched on. I found a short between a phase and earth from the commando plug which would explain the fault but why did it not blow the fuse? Old MEM DB, rewireable fuses.
Secondly they had a cooked earth cable within a control box for a large saw. Apparently, the staff told me they were welding nearby when it started to cook and it stopped when they finished welding. the commando in which the welding unit was plugged into and the saw supply are on separate curcuits.
They went on to tell me they previously had a drill plugged into a switched on 13a socket resting on a table not being used whilst on the same table they started welding, the cable from plug to drill started to burn out.
The yard is in a semi-rural location and at first glance it appeared to be a TT, as there is a tatty old approx 10mm cable running from the MET to the factory floor and is then untraceable, however there is a 10mm earth terminated into the neutral block at the head which would suggest PME. We attempted to get confirmation from the LEB as to the supply earthing type but to no avail.
I have taken loops at head, main switch, isolators and commandos and the reading are from 0.28 Ohms to 0.53 Ohms, acceptable.
I have also disconnected the suspected earth rod fly lead and taken a EFLZ and it was 1683 Ohms.
We suspect that it may have been TT originally and due to a poor earth perhaps they decided to jab into the neutral, but its not designed for PME.
To be honest really not sure.
Can anyone help is there a way I can determine the supply type?
Any help is appreciated.​

If your working for a company, then i would strongly suggest/advise that you request a colleague of some experience to assist you, or visa versa. This welding shop is in all honesty a can or worms, where disaster is potentially just around the corner. If you miss something, on this PIR that later rears it's ugly head and injures, maims or kills a worker, guess who they will be looking for as the scapegoat??

We may be at cross-purposes here. I was referring to the earth return for the welding current to the set. Nothing to do with earthing of the supply or the kit in general. If the welding set return isn’t connected directly to the piece being welded the current will find it’s way back somehow.

To be honest if you don’t know about welding plant, find the quickest way out. Like Glenn I’ve seen cables, panels and motor bearings going up in flames due to the welding current.

Well that would suggest a TN-C-S but you would need confirmation and as you have already said the DNO have no record of such an arrangement it makes you think maybe they have just stabbed that 10mm (which isn`t big enough csa for PME anyway) into the neutral-earth link they have discovered in order to get a better earthing for here....so maybe a sparks has been there before and they have been listening to what he has been on about (haphazard install) and decided to do something about it on the cheap............

We may be at cross-purposes here. I was referring to the earth return for the welding current to the set. Nothing to do with earthing of the supply or the kit in general. If the welding set return isn’t connected directly to the piece being welded the current will find it’s way back somehow.

To be honest if you don’t know about welding plant, find the quickest way out. Like Glenn I’ve seen cables, panels and motor bearings going up in flames due to the welding current.
same here tony....even a dodgy clamp when you crank up the current (for thicker materials) will run hot enough to melt solder.....easily.........

same here tony....even a dodgy clamp when you crank up the current (for thicker materials) will run hot enough to melt solder.....easily.........

It’s even funnier when the electrode holder and cable is in flames while the guy caries on blissfully unaware. One got downright shirty with me when I turned the welder off and chucked a bucket of water over him.

It’s even funnier when the electrode holder and cable is in flames while the guy caries on blissfully unaware. One got downright shirty with me when I turned the welder off and chucked a bucket of water over him.
Cutting and grinding sparks are the best one for that Tony......was using stihlsaw this one time and my overalls were really oily....now as i was concentrating on what i was doing i failed to notice half the leg on these overalls was on fire!!! Soon the heat got the better of my senses though and you never saw anyone get out of a boiler suit as fast....kicked it outside to let it burn out.....just a pile of cinders after about 5 mins....shame really as my cigs n lighter went up with it n all....lol....:bomb2:

What’s puzzling me is why are they having the PIR done if the won’t spend to have it rectified. Is it for their insurance? If it is they’ll have to dig deep.
Only a report though Tony....dont force em to do owt......its the EAWR that can sting em though so at least its been brought to the attention of an electrician who could issue danger notices etc......the thing is, if owt happened here and it went to court and anything was missed....well you just know they will try to use that to "get out of it" so to speak......

Reply to electrical problems at welders yard, supply mystery? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock