Discuss Feeding two lamps of one celling rose in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Markymark981

I have 10 halogens mains connected

I want to operate them on 2 switches (6 lamps on one and 4 on another) I'm using celling roses for
Ease but my query is can u feed two lamps off one celling rose???

yes, just loop from one to the other. if you're not confident with this, call a spark in.

So where the pendant dangles
I can replace those wires and feed 2 new wires to feed the two pendants?

You should not have two flexes coming out of a ceiling rose as they are not designed for it.

I can't quite picture your set up as you are referring to 10 halogens, two pendants, two switches and a ceiling rose.

got me confused as well, now. from the existing rose, you would loop to the next fitting over the ceiling, always assuming that you can safely add cables to the terminals in the rose. think this is a job for a professional.

Basically I wanted to have one celling
Rose with two halogen lights coming from it, then I'll feed to the next celling
Rose to have another two and so on, meaning I'll use 5 roses and not 10???

better to use junction boxes. halogen lamps should be fed with heat resistant flex, terminated to the T/E using a junction box or plug/socket arrangement at each fitting. other factors to consider are spacing from timbers, removal of insulation. a direct line to the local fire station is advisable if all things are not considered and installed correctly.

I want to operate them on 2 switches (6 lamps on one and 4 on another) I'm using celling roses for

If you mean a twin lamp with one lead, yes. If you mean two single lamps then no.
not quite sure what you mean though.

i have just had heart surgery performed. it's only a bit of plumbing, but i thought, what the hell, i'll get a surgeon to do it, so i know it's been done right.

- - - Updated - - -

This is where i start thinking should we be telling unqualified people how to do such a simple job if they dont have the knowledge they shouldn't be doing it.
eggsackkly.

Jesus its quite simple all I'm askin is if I can have 2 lights of the one pendant ! Thanks for all ur whitty comments they have been emensley helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

Btw thanks to the chaps who have advised me in a constructive way!

You must understand, Mark, that we can't visualize Neither your set-up nor
your intentions. Post us a nice photograph which says more to us than your description.

And to save confusion Mark .............

A ceiling rose shall not be used for the attachment of more than one outgoing flexible cable unless it is specifically designed for multiple pendants ..... reg 559.6.1.3 is your ceiling rose designed for multiple pendants?

So I guess the answer would be .......................

Also remember that a rose is only deigned for a 6amp load.

Jesus its quite simple all I'm askin is if I can have 2 lights of the one pendant ! Thanks for all ur whitty comments they have been emensley helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at a job and explaining it is one thing, reading an explanation and trying to form an imaginary picture to be able to offer safe and sound advice is completely different. Now this is fine when it comes to jobs such as building a timber frame or putting up a picture frame but what you need to realise is that from an Electricians point of view it is impossible to offer sound advice without having a CLEAR understanding of exactly what it is you need to do. Diagrams or photos are a massive help but rarely posted

You've specified no location ie kitchen/bathroom WHICH ARE BOTH NOTIFIABLE BY LAW, or if there are additional factors to consider such as insulation in a loft etc.

Also there is no description of the units being installed, for example some areas require particular ratings to make them suitable in different circumstances.

Whilst it's nice to see that you have considered the risks and just want to be sure, to me it sounds like you should ask a local spark to pop over to assist. I'm sure if you posted up your location a member would happily take the time to pop over and assess the situation for you.

Another point I must make is this, you are making an alteration to the circuit therefore that particular circuit will need to comply with current regulations (even if it is not notifiable by law). In order for it to comply the circuit must be protected with the appropriate cable, OCPD and 30mA device and there will need to be specific tests carried out on the circuit and installation to ensure that any alteration/additional work has not compromised the integrity of the circuit. Also bonding conductors to gas water or extraneous parts may be required or need to be upgraded.

Please understand that the forum attracts many DIY associated questions and SOME are clearly out of their depth and should not be anywhere near electricity. It kills if left in the wrong hands, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow.

Some faults may not rear their ugly heads for some time down the line which could result in death or serious injury by cause of fire due to a simple electrical job not being carried out correctly.

Hopefully my input may help to assist you understand why you have received some of the less helpful posts in this thread.

As for the question, Ceiling roses are designed to supply one pendant only. If you want to supply more lights then you will need to install the appropriate junction boxes keeping in mind that they should remain accessible for inspection/maintenance purposes. If floor boards etc are placed over them afterwards then this is not accessible and maintenance free enclosures will be required.

What seems like a simple task for a DIY'er who is more than capable of carrying out the work is a lot more involved for an electrician who HAS to undertake such work ensuring that all the correct materials are being used, all cables are selected and erected correctly and all work inspected, tested and certified at the end of it.

Kind Regards
1SC

Hi I'm a fully qualified domestic installer, past my exams in April and currently seeking some more experience and also earn some money so I can afford tester equipment and membership fees

I have worked as a electricans mate on a total re-wire of an empty property and I have also installed lights and additional sockets on other jobs.

I have the following qualifications
Domestic installer inc part p
17th edition wiring regulations
Pat testing
Ecs card safe exam passed but pending card

Just thought I would browse over some previous posts made by the OP;)

Seems we're not actually trying to assist a DIY'er at all but unfortunately it would come to light that the OP is in fact working in the trade in one form or another so really there is absolutely no reason for there to be lack of information.

You are most definitely 100% correct, it really is quite simple lol

- - - Updated - - -

It's witty and immensely.

Don't say that I haven't been helpful :seeya:

You will have to add a switch wire and split the bank of 10 to what your 6&4

I see your talking about your connections from the old ceiling rose that's being used instead of a junction box

Reply to Feeding two lamps of one celling rose in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock