Search the forum,

Discuss Generator on Farm in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

the genny should be bionded to any metalwork that is within reach.
The normal convention is to run a 4core cable (3ph) and an earth, or 5 single cores.
gennys may only be used together if it is possible to syncronise them together, to prevent strange voltages. If this is not possible then no, it will not be allowed.
the supply will only need RCD protection if the Ze/Zs values mean that the protective devices will not
operate within specified times.

Theoretically this allows for both generators to be supplying cu simultaneously. Is this allowed?

Most definitely not!, they should be seperated by at least a changeover switch, or more usually by a changeover contactor/s, with the main Generator pulling in the contacts for one set (N/O) and the backup generator on the N/C set, these are often mechanically interlocked, and sometimes a timer (delay) set on the main control circuit.

It is wired this way so when the main generator is working it pulls the changeover contacts from the normally open position, and when it is not powered to let the backup genny come into play, it should be impossible for both to be connected at the same time (synchronised types aside), as you would be backfeeding either onto the dormant genny, or putting two un-synchronised supplies together.

Ps. I will do a drawing later, unless someone beats me to it

Last edited:
Running two generators in synchronous causes all kinds of problems with earthing. Only one should have the neutral connected and earthed to stop circulating currents. Get a change over switch, it will save all the problems of synchronisation unless of course you want the fun of setting up a syncroscope. Run as independent units the earths can be linked but bolted links should be put in so they can be totally isolated for testing, (which I’ve missed off the drawing. Bugger!)

View attachment 9018

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that drawing Tony. I thought that would be the case don't know how he's gona take that but if he doesnt like it id rather not do the job.

Im still struggling with the earthing arrangement im reading so much conflicting info and cant find anything solid.

Do I link earth neutral in the generator connection panel and run a 4 core swa to cu and have a tncs/pme system. Is the earth provided from the frame? Is that what is meant by floating earth?

Or do i have to install a earth spike and connect to the genarator. Would this mean i have to have Main rcd on cu?

Thanks

The best way is a solid connection from the neutral to earth. You must also earth the frame but do not rely on that as your neutral earth.

There is a lot of confusion regarding paralleled generators. Only one will have it’s neutral and earth contactors closed. This is usually the larger set.If just one generator is running it’s respective neutral and earth contactor will be closed.

Does your farmer want to run parallel sets? If he is then he’s in for trouble. Synchronising is the easy bit, load sharing, voltage and frequency control are a minefield. Hunting between set is a common problem.
View attachment 9025
It would be a good idea to fit a RCD

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I was wondreing if anyone could help me, I installed a circit in a farm house this weekend. And when i was testing the property there was 100v live to earth and 100v neurtal to earth and 230v between live and neutral this property was supplyed by a small single phase generater oveusly then i could not test ze zs ect. i looked all over the gen and inside to find neutral earth link no joy as i dont really know what to look for. Any input to my question would be helpful thanks

Andrew you should have started a new thread for this, it just muddies the water for the original question.

But to your question, from what you say it could be a centre tapped generator. You need to find some information otherwise it’s pure guesswork on our part. Make, model, etc.
As a safety note, if it is centre tapped then all MCB’s and switches should be double pole.

He doesnt want to run paralell sets he just want one as a back up for the other so i ll fit a change over swithch.

I was thinking of running a 4core swa from main generator to change over switch.

A single earth connected to earth bolt on frame of generator going to change over switch. Neutral Earth linked in generator.

steel frame building Metal work bonded to earth bolt on frame of generator.

2 x sets of 2m earth rods connected to earth bolt on frame

This will then be a TNS?

I ll then do the same from the other generator and link the earths at consumer unit with removable bolt.

Hows this sound

Thanks a lot

He doesnt want to run paralell sets he just want one as a back up for the other so i ll fit a change over swithch.

I was thinking of running a 4core swa from main generator to change over switch.

A single earth connected to earth bolt on frame of generator going to change over switch. ......Neutral Earth linked in generator. See below

steel frame building Metal work bonded to earth bolt on frame of generator.

2 x sets of 2m earth rods connected to earth bolt on frame
No, ....connected to neutral point, then to frame Yes

This will then be a TNS?
Yes

I ll then do the same from the other generator and link the earths at consumer unit with removable bolt.
Bolts, ...separarate connections

Hows this sound

Thanks a lot

Question, ... will these genny's be located on the same pad foundation and close to each other??

The neutral earth link should be removable at the generators for testing. But just to mess things up for you, some small sets have an internal N/E link.

Keep us up to speed with how you go on.

Reply to Generator on Farm in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock