Discuss Generator set up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals… just pondering a gennie set up in a domestic that has a double pole changeover switch with 25mm tails in from dno and 25mm out to cu, 4mm cable then supplies the gennie male socket. Two queries i have, should the 4mm t&e have overload protection (all be it would be downstream)? And should there be a supplementary earth spike & 10mm connected to the met?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The generator output should have OCPD anyway, and as long as nobody does something stupid like make up a 63A plug from a 15kVA generator to 32A or 16A socket feeding your plug & 4mm then I can't see much issue there. If you have any doubts about that sort of thing happening, then putting in a 32A MCB or similar fused-switch would solve it.

But you must have your own Earth provisions for the generator! You cannot assume the supply earth will be present during any sort of fault/outage as the whole supply cable could have been JCB'd. Most generators have 30mA RCDs (if socketed outputs, etc) so the rod below 200 ohm is not going to be too hard to meet but as always if you can safely drive in a 2.4m rod it will be much better.

And yes, I would use 10mm bond for it even if it is not TN-C-S yet, as probably that will happen eventually.

Reply to Generator set up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Just a query. As people have been asking me about changeover switches and generators. If a domestic house already has PV solar, and customer...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I've been asked to install a generator backup to a property, however they are going to be using a AMF panel. The generator they are...
Replies
Views
I know it's not neat, but can I simply run a single extension cable from a small (3KVA) petrol, portable, inverter generator, positioned outside...
Replies
Views
I'm practising EICRs on friendly locations as I'm still in training - technically done my 2391-52 but frankly need loads more practise. I've just...
Replies
Views
Morning all, Before I start I don't need all the "you're supposed to be a qualified electrician, you need to go back to college' brigade to jump...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock