Discuss High PFC. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The company is in the process of dropping a gable end which requires many circuits being cut back and then reinstated.

I advised we do an EICR, although not due and for info only, to get a baseline on the installation before we start ripping it to pieces.

It was approved and despite the age and some iffy spurs it's in remarkable condition.

One thing that stood out was at the main DB and two sub boards the the ZDBs were very low giving PFCs in the range of 3-6KA

All the boards are populated with Hager two module RCBO which have a breaking capacity of 4000A.

Those in DB1 will almost certainly be under rated.

The other two DBs though have an additional 10mm earth run back to DB1 alongside the 16mm T&E sub main. Removing this brings the ZDBs up to sensible levels.

The incomer is TP TN-S with only one phase in use.

Is it likely that originally the Ze was much higher and external DNO works have brought this down, hence the additional 10mm earth?

Obviously I have no access to any previous results.

Off hand I don't know the CPC size for 16mm T&E but it might be under the 10mm or so needed for bonding on a TN-C-S supply, so that is one possible reason for the additional conductor.
[automerge]1596041442[/automerge]
Same for the adiabatic limit depending on the supply fuse, etc.
[automerge]1596041643[/automerge]
Oddly enough this is opposite to my current project where I am seeing around 5kA measured at our origin switched-fuse but expected around double that. Not sure I really trust my MFT in that region though as 0.01 or so of test cable impedance difference makes a massive difference to the resulting PFC/PSSC.

Last edited:
Cheers but its TN-S and all bonding is direct to the MET and confirmed.
There may be some unknown unknowns lurking but there is nowt obvious.
[automerge]1596042080[/automerge]
[automerge]1596041643[/automerge]
Oddly enough this is opposite to my current project where I am seeing around 5kA measured at our origin switched-fuse but expected around double that. Not sure I really trust my MFT in that region though as 0.01 or so of test cable impedance difference makes a massive difference to the resulting PFC/PSSC.
[/QUOTE]

This, I'm too doubting my MFT and will be confirming with a Megger tomorrow.

Last edited:
Consumer units complying to BSEN 61439-3 have a declared Ka rating of 16Ka and if it is a domestic installation then you are not even required to measure it.
See appendix 14 of bs7671.
Also see the requirements for back up protection being provided by the DNO’s cut out fuse.
As long as the let through energy of the DNO fuse is equal to or lower than the upstream devices Ka , then back up protection is afforded.
If I’m wrong about this part then I’m sure someone can correct me.
But like I said it’s not required in a domestic installation where the CU has a 16Ka rating.

Last edited:
Getting too high a PFC would mean lower cable R than the MFT has assumed, which would be unusual unless you had 3rd party probes.

Getting too low a PFC on the other hand just needs a bit of dirt/tarnishing/lack of tight banana plug fit, etc.

Of course suspect calibration could account for errors in both directions! My MFT is only 6 months old and hardly used so I'm expecting it to be in-cal but can only do simple checks on it using the low ohm measurement and some calibration resistors.

Consumer units complying to BSEN 61439-3 have a declared Ka rating of 16Ka and if it is a domestic installation then you are not even required to measure it.
See appendix 14 of bs7671.
Also see the requirements for back up protection being provided by the DNO’s cut out fuse.
As long as the let through energy of the DNO fuse is equal to or lower than the upstream devices Ka , then back up protection is afforded.
But like I said it’s not required in a domestic installation where the CU has a 16Ka rating.
So, as long as the CU the RCBOs are housed in are matched then the Breaking Capacity becomes that of the housing not that of the RCBO?

This is not domestic.

I'll have a look at appendix 14.

Ta

Isn't a 1361 holder rated at 16.5 KA?

Sadly I’ve seen low Ze due to my measurement error a few times. Parallel earth paths not removed, tester lead calibration review and adding a long lead into the test usually resolved it.
Out of interest, can you check PFC on the outgoing L terminal of an MCB?

Sadly I’ve seen low Ze due to my measurement error a few times. Parallel earth paths not removed, tester lead calibration review and adding a long lead into the test usually resolved it.
Out of interest, can you check PFC on the outgoing L terminal of an MCB?
Will be looking to do a few things tomorrow.

Use a new MFT and insert a length of single into the test lead, test and deduct then calculate the PFC rather than reading

I definitely removed all parallel paths at source. The 2 sub boards maybe not.

So, as long as the CU the RCBOs are housed in are matched then the Breaking Capacity becomes that of the housing not that of the RCBO?

This is not domestic.

Ta

Have a read of this
High PFC. C8BAD6CE-81FC-4C03-AA9E-649C968D5FFA - EletriciansForums.netHigh PFC. 532D48D7-5C1A-4BCD-A8F8-5F5B45A99971 - EletriciansForums.netHigh PFC. 3287EBA4-558F-4BC9-A97B-292F46C736F7 - EletriciansForums.netHigh PFC. C8BAD6CE-81FC-4C03-AA9E-649C968D5FFA - EletriciansForums.netHigh PFC. 532D48D7-5C1A-4BCD-A8F8-5F5B45A99971 - EletriciansForums.netHigh PFC. 3287EBA4-558F-4BC9-A97B-292F46C736F7 - EletriciansForums.net

This is not domestic.

Ta

Unfortunately with 100A or 80A incoming fuses, the let-through from 6kA perspective is still going to be in the order of 5kA or more, so relying on the upstream fuses isn't likely to be possible here, but you would need to know the actual fault current and fuse size/type to really check.
[automerge]1596047695[/automerge]
Will be looking to do a few things tomorrow.

Use a new MFT and insert a length of single into the test lead, test and deduct then calculate the PFC rather than reading

I definitely removed all parallel paths at source. The 2 sub boards maybe not.

For fault levels, you shouldn't be removing the parallel paths.

To determine the maximum Zs or Zdb the parallel paths need to be removed, this gives the worse case for making sure the protection will operate with minimum current.

However for fault level confirmation of equipment then you need to find out what the maximum is, not the minimum for operation.

It would be no use removing all parallel paths and saying the equivalent is suitable for the fault level- say 3kA then put parallel paths back in and see the actual fault current now be beyond the capacity of the equipment installed.

Last edited:
Wonderful, cheers.

If, and this needs confirming, the PFC is indeed as low as I think (4-6KA) then it doesn't matter as all the CUs, if compliant with BS60947-3, will have a type default rating of 16KA as long as they are installed following MI.

Am I reading that correctly?

Yes, but it isn't a widespread yes - each manufacturer states which mcbs etc make this confirmation.

So if they state 4kA stuff is compliant with this, then you still have to do the calculations for other ratings

Unfortunately with 100A or 80A incoming fuses, the let-through from 6kA perspective is still going to be in the order of 5kA or more, so relying on the upstream fuses isn't likely to be possible here, but you would need to know the actual fault current and fuse size/type to really check.
[automerge]1596047695[/automerge]

For fault levels, you shouldn't be removing the parallel paths.

To determine the maximum Zs or Zdb the parallel paths need to be removed, this gives the worse case for making sure the protection will operate with minimum current.

However for fault level confirmation of equipment then you need to find out what the maximum is, not the minimum for operation.

It would be no use removing all parallel paths and saying the equivalent is suitable for the fault level- say 3kA then put parallel paths back in and see the actual fault current now be beyond the capacity of the equipment installed.
Not saying you're wrong but how does that sit with the argument that some parallel paths, not part of the electrical installation, may change, i.e. gas and water bonding.

I was taught to measure Ze with all parallel paths removed and the meter will automatically calculate PSSC and PFC.?

Not saying you're wrong but how does that sit with the argument that some parallel paths, not part of the electrical installation, may change, i.e. gas and water bonding.

I was taught to measure Ze with all parallel paths removed and the meter will automatically calculate PSSC and PFC.?

All you can do is measure what you can at the time, if something changes after you can't account for it.

If you remove the parallel paths then this presents the highest Zs and providing the protection will operate (ie still less than min Zs for the mcb/rcbo) this would be the worst case, so when the parallel paths are in, or someone adds further earthing etc, this would increase the fault current/make Zs still be below the minimum required.

However to make sure the equipment has a sufficient rating, you ought to re-test the pfc with everything back in parallel- I will check, but I think it is explained in gn3

Yes the meter will calculate a PFC based on that reading, but it would be incorrect to take that as being the measured PEFC for the installation.
To establish the PEFC for the installation you need the loop impedance with all bonding and other parallell earth paths connected.
To establish PSCC you need the L - N or L - L loop impedance, bonding etc shouldn't affect this but I guess for TNCS it maybe might do.

All you can do is measure what you can at the time, if something changes after you can't account for it.

If you remove the parallel paths then this presents the highest Zs and providing the protection will operate (ie still less than min Zs for the mcb/rcbo) this would be the worst case, so when the parallel paths are in, or someone adds further earthing etc, this would increase the fault current/make Zs still be below the minimum required.

However to make sure the equipment has a sufficient rating, you ought to re-test the pfc with everything back in parallel- I will check, but I think it is explained in gn3
Actually it made perfect sense after re-reading your earlier post but thanks for clarifying.

One thing that stood out was at the main DB and two sub boards the the ZDBs were very low giving PFCs in the range of 3-6KA

All the boards are populated with Hager two module RCBO which have a breaking capacity of 4000A.

The other two DBs though have an additional 10mm earth run back to DB1 alongside the 16mm T&E sub main. Removing this brings the ZDBs up to sensible levels.

It's probably quite close to the substation, thats not an unreasonable PFC for a domestic supply, just not very common.

A 4kA breaking capacity is unusual, are these older units?

Don't go removing protective conductors to deliberately increase impedance, that's plain daft.
[automerge]1596050228[/automerge]

What makes you think it should be double that? Is the 5kA PEFC or PSCC?

I apologise if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but if you are close to the substation transformer your meter will likely not measure the impedance correctly due to the effects of the transformer. Being close to the transformer will usually give you higher impedance values and lower PFC values than are actually there.

Last edited:
It's probably quite close to the substation, thats not an unreasonable PFC for a domestic supply, just not very common.

A 4kA breaking capacity is unusual, are these older units?

Don't go removing protective conductors to deliberately increase impedance, that's plain daft.

I need to get a few ducks in a line before offering a solution, it may turn out there isn't even a major problem.

Firstly I need to speak with Hager to ascertain if the components as assembled conform to BS609473 and therefore carry a 16KA+ type tested rating.

There are a few mixed manufacturer MCBs that need replacing, again Hager need contacting for type compliant alternatives.

I find the additional earths curious but would not dream of removing them.

What makes you think it should be double that? Is the 5kA PEFC or PSCC?

I apologise if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but if you are close to the substation transformer your meter will likely not measure the impedance correctly due to the effects of the transformer. Being close to the transformer will usually give you higher impedance values and lower PFC values than are actually there.
Yes, it is around 25m from the 500kVA substation and SSE told me to expect around 11kA PFC/PSSC values. I'm seeing 4kA-ish PFC and 5kA-ish PSSC but not terribly stable :(

I'm not sure what you mean by "close to the transformer will usually give you higher impedance values and lower PFC values than are actually there" though.

However, I fully agree that measurements of this sort are hard to do and I'm too much of a cheapskate to hire a Kelvin lead supply impedance analyser (the minimum 1 week hire is roughly what I paid for my MFT...)

I need to get a few ducks in a line before offering a solution, it may turn out there isn't even a major problem.

I find the additional earths curious but would not dream of removing them.

I doubt there's any problem at all, but best to check to make sure. Do you have the part number of the RCBO's or a picture?

I used to run a 10mm earth alongside a 16mm T&E submain on the rare occasions I installed one. It helps keep Zs as low as possible, allows bonding to connect to the sub DB if needed, and a 6mm cpc just feels too small.
[automerge]1596051253[/automerge]
Yes, it is around 25m from the 500kVA substation and SSE told me to expect around 11kA PFC/PSSC values. I'm seeing 4kA-ish PFC and 5kA-ish PSSC but not terribly stable :(

I'm not sure what you mean by "close to the transformer will usually give you higher impedance values and lower PFC values than are actually there" though.

However, I fully agree that measurements of this sort are hard to do and I'm too much of a cheapskate to hire a Kelvin lead supply impedance analyser (the minimum 1 week hire is roughly what I paid for my MFT...)

Is that PSSC measured between phases or from phase to neutral (replace phase withline if youre feeling modern)

I don't know the details but if you're too close (electrically/conductor length, not physical distance) to the transformer then something about the transformer interferes with the measurement and leads to a false reading.
But I've only seen that when theres a few metres of big conductor between the tester and transformer.

I did a job last year where the Zs I measured at our new panel board (fed by 4 metres of 2x 150mm from a board in the room below which was fed from the DNO transformer in a room next door) using a high resolution loop tester was higher (slightly) than at the end of the outgoing circuits from it.

Last edited:

Reply to High PFC. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock