Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion Heater - PV electricity in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

emma circuit diagram shows a filter which appears to be mounted under the cylon controller. the crydom incorporates a PWM controller which switches at a high rate. this is necessary both to comply with the regs and to make sure that the inverter has enough power storage (hold up) to supply the 3kw load even though it might be generating a few watts on average.

Thanks for clarifying, pmcalli - explains the Crydom's eye-watering cost, and it would be nice if the data sheet mentioned this (and talked about filtering too). Crydom also needs a low-voltage supply, which is irritating if operating it from a system designed to consume minimum power.

Interesting too about the problems of a spiky load for a solar inverter.

Would love to see the Emma circuit diagram!!

bradburts: I supposedly work in electronics but it's all software nowadays...

bradburts: I supposedly work in electronics but it's all software nowadays...
You should ask for a pay rise then ;)

I take it that the cylon controller is the industry standard energy management system (including a lighting controller?) rather than a evil scientist?

Which Crydom range are you refering too?
Did anyone find a FET capable of switching 3KW using AC? I didn't find anything. All I found had Amps dropping off very quickly as rating goes above 80V or so.
I am assuming that there is something (and with a high efficiency) as you can get 240V to 220V convertors fitted to your consummer unit for a few hundred pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.
Looked again, found loads. Must have been selecting gate voltage! What a numpty.
Lowest Rds was 70mOhm.
You sure that the linked Crydom switches at high frequency? I thought it was just a phase controller?

I'm doubting that it can be high frequency, especially when the thermocouple version especially designed for heaters is zero crossing burst firing. pmcalli, which devices did you mean?

Sorry, I can't find the full circuit diagram - could you point me to it, please?

In the picture of the SP15 (smallest one) here there is a Kyotto KC2015AX (sadly apparently unavailable retail). This is definitely not a high frequency controller, and there is a nice big filter. (The black lump called Lambda is a DC power supply.)

In the PDF showing the wiring diagram, things are rather different. There is a Crydom 10PCV2440, similar to the Kyotto, but no filter. Unsure what unit this is, but as it's only a 40A controller and doesn't appear to have a heat sink, I assume it's also the smallest.

(Posted as suntrap posted)
Checked the website & they show a schematic which is pretty much a circuit diagram as all the components seem to be COTS.
Think the Crydom shown is a 10PCV2440, which is a PFC.
There's a AC filter module. Cannot make it out though.
Any thoughts on what the DIN AC filter module is anyone?
Its clearly not designed for cost. Easy to build a DIN rail system but the components cost a packet.

So meeting regulations cannot be 2 hard if all you need is a COTS filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah sorry, should have read pmcalli's post properly - yes, the high current wires disappear under the control unit, so presumably there is a filter there. I notice in the wiring diagram that you can't have your PV connected to the existing consumer unit - but then if the consumer unit is going to be full of relays it'll need replacing anyway.

Reply to Immersion Heater - PV electricity in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock