Currently reading:
Immersion problem

Discuss Immersion problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi lads,

My client is having problems with her peak and off peak immersion. She claims she isn't getting enough hot water. I turned both thermostats up but she is still having the same problem. They are new elements but I tested them anyway and they are working fine. I'm wondering if the problem is a plumbing issue, maybe the tank isn't being filled up fully. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

She doesn't plug them both in at the same time, I asked about fuses blowing and MCB's tripping but she says nothing blows or trips.
The set up is odd because the bottom element is plugged into a timer which is plugged into the peak supply double socket

I didn't IR the elements
I'd expect a zero value when doing continuity
I would remove the pump from the immersion circuit so the immersion doesn't interfere with the pump under fault conditions and vice versa.
I was never told what the reset button actually resets, I usually just press it anyway, I don't know why I didn't press it today.
E7 works, I turned it on to confirm power supply even though both elements were plugged into a double socket.
Try again!

Dave Sparks what is the purpose of this forum? I'm on here because I need help, not a lecture so don't talk to me about common sense! A zero reading would indicate a dead short when doing IR but I did continuity.
E7 has a switch on the meter.

Dave Sparks what is the purpose of this forum? I'm on here because I need help, not a lecture so don't talk to me about common sense! A zero reading would indicate a dead short when doing IR but I did continuity.
E7 has a switch on the meter.

The purpose of this forum is to make money for the person who owns it through the advertising etc.

A zero reading on continuity is also a dead short. The element should have a specific resistance which you calculate from its power and voltage ratings. This is basic physics taught to every schoolchild so I don't think it is in any way unfair to expect you to know how to do this.

Hi lads,

My client is having problems with her peak and off peak immersion. She claims she isn't getting enough hot water. I turned both thermostats up but she is still having the same problem. They are new elements but I tested them anyway and they are working fine. I'm wondering if the problem is a plumbing issue, maybe the tank isn't being filled up fully. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

It's impossible for the tank not to be fully filled - assuming it's being fed by a header tank of course which most are.

Water will always find its own level and from the bottom of the header tank it gallops down a pipe and enters the bottom of the cylinder, from the top of the cylinder a pipe runs back up to the very top of the expansion tank

As the cylinder is filling, water is rising back up the expansion pipe until it reaches the same level as the top of the water in the expansion tank and that is why the cylinder will always be full.

I suspect our friend Lee makes a good point at post #3.

And stop calling your customers "clients"!!

Prostitutes and Solicitors/Lawyers have "clients" and both will screw you one way or another. We who work in honourable trades, have Customers!! :sailor:

Last edited by a moderator:
Prostitutes have clients,andSolicitors/Lawyers have victims. we who work in honourable trades have Customers!!

corrected that for you.

You want the formula on the right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 87

Reply to Immersion problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back