Discuss On peak off peak wired incorrectly? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi MeganS
In relation to the two switches "off-peak" and "on-peak" connected with white wires to the immersion heaters, could you follow the cable from the bottom switch and check if it goes to the bottom or top immersion, and similarly the other cable from the top switch goes to which immersion?
I am puzzled by the fact that the light is lit on the bottom switch - did you take the photo during the day, or at night (or to be more accurate, during 'off-peak)?
It would be good to know if the switches are labelled the right way round, and the above might confirm!

PS photo's of your meter etc helpful thank you!
Thank you.
- Off peak switch cable goes to the top knob. - On peak switch cable goes to the bottom knob.

Which would appear correct?

Thank you.
- Off peak switch cable goes to the top knob. - On peak switch cable goes to the bottom knob.

Which would appear correct?
Not in my opinion!
I'm thinking what you call a knob is the cover of each immersion heater, which has the thermostat adjusting knob in it.

The bottom immersion is there to heat the whole tank, and that is the one normally powered by off-peak.
The upper immersion is for a "boost" if you run out of hot, normally fed from on-peak.
Does the light on the on-peak switch actually stay on all the time?

My first thought is that they are wired the wrong way round, but at this time of night I could be wrong. No doubt someone will be along to comment!

Following on from my comment above, it still could be that both immersion heaters are running from the on-peak supply, together with the hall heater as mentioned previously. The thermostat in the bottom immersion seems to need attention, all as per Snowhead in post #11, as well as checking that the upper immersion is actually functioning.

So far it appears:
  • the 'off-peak' section of the consumer unit seems to be fed from a DNO/Eon contactor, so should actually be 'off-peak'!
  • (anybody care to comment on the presumably timed neutral feed to the contactor from meter, what's the other to the Henley?)
  • the right hand 'off-peak' MCB position labelled 'immersion' has had the breaker removed
  • so we don't know where power for the immersion heaters is now coming from.
  • the bottom immersion heater works, but seems to need a new thermostat
  • the top immersion heater does not work, but we don't know if it's lack of power, fuse, thermal cutout or faulty element etc.
  • the flex to each of the immersion heaters seems to be transposed compared with what you would expect.
  • the 3 x 500W Dinplex (presumably panel, not storage) heaters in the hallway are powered from peak rate electricity, which may be correct for that type of heater,

You would think it would be relatively straightforward for a competent electrician to sort this out !

Last edited:
So far it appears:

• (anybody care to comment on the presumably timed neutral feed to the contactor from meter, what's the other to the Henley?)

The meter timed auxiliary contact has N in sourced from the Henley and N sw out to contactor.

It does seem there has been some interference with the original setup, for unknown reasons.

What needs investigating is;

Do both immersion heaters work when powered, if not replace as required,

Do the thermostats in each heater control that heater correctly when set to the appropriate temperature, if not replace as required,

Is the top heater controlled by a switch labelled ON Peak (preferably the upper switch to avoid confusion) which is supplied from the ON peak section of the Consumer unit, if not reconnect / relabel as required,

Is the lower heater controlled by a switch labelled OFF Peak (preferably the lower switch to avoid confusion) which is supplied from the OFF peak section of the Consumer unit, currently missing an MCB to be able to do that, if not reconnect / relabel as required,

Not in my opinion!
I'm thinking what you call a knob is the cover of each immersion heater, which has the thermostat adjusting knob in it.

The bottom immersion is there to heat the whole tank, and that is the one normally powered by off-peak.
The upper immersion is for a "boost" if you run out of hot, normally fed from on-peak.
Does the light on the on-peak switch actually stay on all the time?

My first thought is that they are wired the wrong way round, but at this time of night I could be wrong. No doubt someone will be along to comment!
Yes sorry the black cap is what I am referring to (thermostat underneath I believe)

The photo I took was at 10am yesterday which would mean the light should be off - but yes light stays on always. Attached another photo which was taken just now at 10:25.
When we turn it off we are left without hot water which sparks my concern that it’s all wired incorrectly (or is it as simple as labelled?)

Attachments

• On peak off peak wired incorrectly? 5DDA2609-8002-42DA-AE19-9CFA73B367A8 - EletriciansForums.net
    5DDA2609-8002-42DA-AE19-9CFA73B367A8.jpeg
    378.3 KB · Views: 33
So far it appears:
  • the 'off-peak' section of the consumer unit seems to be fed from a DNO/Eon contactor, so should actually be 'off-peak'!
  • the right hand 'off-peak' MCB position labelled 'immersion' has had the breaker removed
  • so we don't know where power for the immersion heaters is now coming from.
  • the bottom immersion heater works, but seems to need a new thermostat
  • the top immersion heater does not work, but we don't know if it's lack of power, fuse, thermal cutout or faulty element etc.
  • the flex to each of the immersion heaters seems to be transposed compared with what you would expect.
  • the 3 x 500W Dinplex (presumably panel, not storage) heaters in the hallway are powered from peak rate electricity, which may be correct for that type of heater,

You would think it would be relatively straightforward for a competent electrician to sort this out !
Majority of bullet points are a little tricky for me to understand but thank you, will keep these all noted.

Just a point re your last point as I struggle to understand this too re the panel heaters and you are correct they are panel not storage.
So each of these (hallway, room 1 and room 2) have their own switch - shouldn’t be connected to on peak or off peak at all. When I do my maths to work out the costs (wattage x hours on x day rate/night rate) let’s take the highest day rate for example:
0.5KW x 5 hours x 0.44p kw/h = £1.1 so it should be costing me approx £1.10p to run these for 5 hours a day however when I pop these on and watch my ‘smart meter’ (the little screen thing I have plugged in at home) it drinks pounds for fun… and uses far more than £1.10p
I was under the impression these would not run off the on peak / off peak and just simply on day rate / night rate

Have we established whether there is a Horstmann E7 style water heating controller in the property?
The most worrying aspect of this is that four electricians have already visited and failed to sort what appears to be a fairly simple problem for anyone worthy of that title.
Hi Brian
No I do not have this inside / or outside my home.
Thank you

Attachments

• On peak off peak wired incorrectly? B9B309CE-0E5B-4ED2-8B23-082BC929F1E3 - EletriciansForums.net
    B9B309CE-0E5B-4ED2-8B23-082BC929F1E3.png
    764 KB · Views: 48
I'm also shocked that 4 electricians haven't been able to play a fairly simply game of "I wonder what is supplying this" and make a little progress.

@MeganS I'll try and repeat what others have said in simple terms. As far as I can tell the original design was that the very right hand bit of your consumer unit is designed to be powered only during off-peak times.
So it looks as though the original design was for the storage heaters and the lower immersion to be powered at night.
The upper immersion was probably intended for obtaining extra hot water and likely was intended to be manually switched on and off as required.

(to complicate matters some modern storage heaters can also be wired to also be used during the day, but ignore that for now)

The primary goal for any electrician (as said above in various ways) is identifying how the off-peak supply to the lower immersion was intended to work when originally installed.
I'm 99% sure there is a cable from the consumer unit to one of the two marked switches.
I'm also fairly sure that it isn't now connected to where it was once connected, as the breaker is missing.

I could speculate that if the lower immersion became faulty, someone could have decided the fault was it wasn't getting power (mis-diagnosis if they checked during the day) and decided to give it power from somewhere else.

But any electrician is simply looking to find the cable that was originally connected to the very right hand space on your consumer unit, check which switch it goes to, and check that in turn is connected to the lower one.
They would need to re-fit the missing circuit breaker (MCB) too.

Once that is done, we get into secondary issues, like does the immersion heater and it's stat work, and how is the on-peak unit powered. But at least the on-peak could then be turned off to immediately save you some money.

If you don't mind, post whereabouts in Essex you are (roughly). You've been messed around so much that someone might offer to help, as the diagnosis should be a quick job.

If there's no E7 or similar, then there should be a feed for the immersion heaters from the off peak section of the CU.
I'm beginning to wonder whether there was a fault on the off peak feed (missing MCB), and a simple work around, to get a full cylinder of hot water back, was to swap the bottom immersion to the non off peak switch in the airing cupboard.
A competent electrician should be able to work out what the problem is, but not necessarily fix it, within half an hour

Edit: Looks like timhoward and I have come to the same conclusion at the same time!

My earlier post was too cryptic. If you do not live far from the Dartford Crossing, which is 10 minutes away from me in Essex/Havering, then I will pop round and have a look at what's what and take some photos for the fine folk who have posted so far to examine. And I will give you my 'tuppeny worth' too. I will not do the remedial work but I will visit for free as long as you are within 30 minutes of the DC. It will get me out of the house. Being married to my dear wife for 35 years means responding to a damsel in distress is a speciality of mine 🙂 Daytime please.

Last edited:
My earlier post was too cryptic. If you do not live far from the Dartford Crossing, which is 10 minutes away from me in Essex/Havering, then I will pop round and have a look at what's what and take some photos for the fine folk who have posted so far to examine. And I will give you my 'tuppeny worth' too. I will not do the remedial work but I will visit for free as long as you are within 30 minutes of the DC. It will get me out of the house. Daytime please.
You didn't say how many sugars you want in your tea....

OP, you should take up this offer. Then you will be in a better position to inform your local electricians what the problem actually is.

And, it will convince you never to use any of those electricians that have visited already, if they cant figure out the problem.

@marconi
is one of the few people who actually understands electricity and how it works, If you have the opportunity to serve him a cup of tea, your endeavours will not be wasted.

My earlier post was too cryptic. If you do not live far from the Dartford Crossing, which is 10 minutes away from me in Essex/Havering, then I will pop round and have a look at what's what and take some photos for the fine folk who have posted so far to examine. And I will give you my 'tuppeny worth' too. I will not do the remedial work but I will visit for free as long as you are within 30 minutes of the DC. It will get me out of the house. Being married to my dear wife for 35 years means responding to a damsel in distress is a speciality of mine 🙂 Daytime please.
Apologies I missed replying to the message within the many lovely explanations from all the others.
I have sent you a private message with further details
Thanks so much

My ex apprentice (now an excellent qualified spark) now lives in London and has his own company

Once Marconi has been I can send him a message.
I don't know if he is doing domestic work or not but I can check
That’s very kind, thank you
I am catching up with Marconi via phone call tomorrow so we’ll update you all as soon as he’s had a look

First Megan and her baby were very pleased with the generous help and advice from those who responded . I visited today and took a few photos and found out a few things:

1. There is a time switched off peak supply controlled by the meter and connected to the far right off peak main switch of the CU. I saw this supply turn on during my visit. The first picture below shows the peak and off peak supplies to two FCUs for the one and only storage heater.

2. Both immersion elements are sound as are their thermostats. However neither thermostat is a safety 'stat. Both were set to 55C. I have recommended the rod 'stats are changed to safety stats. The elements are both 11 inch. Each elements draws 13A. The switches for the elements are wrongly labelled. The top one labelled off peak feeds the upper elements and the lower one labelled on peak feeds the lower element. But see a later comment at 5 below.

3. The 24 hour supply for the storage heater is fed from the flat FRC. The off peak supply is from the first rcbo (B20A) to the right of the off peak main switch.

4. All the wall dimplex heaters are fed from the flat FRC and thus from the peak supply side of the board.

5. The two immersion heater switches are connected to the same peak supply B20A mcb - the one above which you see my ampclamp. I confirmed this by turning both 'stats to maximum and my amp clamp measured 26A and mcb buzzed.

6. The 13A socket for the water pressure pump is spurred off the immersion heater switch above it - you can see the wago connections behind the switch above the socket. Whereas the flat us wired in old colours the paralleling of the immersion heater switches and socket is done in new colours. The supply to all three from the board is the original old colours.

7. The second right B20A rcbo on the off peak supply says it is a for heater on the outside of the board bit is marked up with 'Imm' inside. I don't have a picture for that. There is an old colour cable connected to it but I could not establish where its goes. I suspect it is terminated in connectors behind the lower immersion heater switch or the 13 shower pump socket but I could not see if this was the case. I did not look behind the surface mounted 13 A socket - all a bit too awkward for me to do. Disconnecting this cable run, it measures open circuit between L-N.

8. I did not check how the lounge storage heater programmer was set up.

In brief then the only Eon controlled off peak heater is the storage heater in the lounge. Whether water heating uses off peak is by chance because Megan did not know that the whole flat (ie all the peak side loads) uses the lower tariff when it switches. (She has E10 which I checked on her bill). A phone call to be made to determine the off peak time slots but I have passed what I think they maybe and how to detect when off peak is available - the lounge right FCU neon light. The shower is fine albeit the flow rate is low which means that on the highest power setting the water temperature is too hot to bear. On the low power setting the water temperature is fine for a bloke but perhaps not hot enough for a damsel ;-). On the cold setting the water is cold and there is only a cold water supply to the shower.

The major work it seems to me is to provide peak and off peak supplies to the two IH elements, swap the stats to safety ones and provide a dedicated FRC supply perhaps for the shower pump 13A socket - or fit an fcu spurred peak IH switch.

I have to sign off now as wife home from hospital.

PS: I left the board with some postits on it but forgot to take a photo.

Attachments

• On peak off peak wired incorrectly? C220B479-5EBF-4BCB-A3A2-2D553B8CC4B1 - EletriciansForums.net
    C220B479-5EBF-4BCB-A3A2-2D553B8CC4B1.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 28
  • On peak off peak wired incorrectly? F530299B-2087-4DA8-8EA7-1AD32D81EDD5 - EletriciansForums.net
    F530299B-2087-4DA8-8EA7-1AD32D81EDD5.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 28
  • On peak off peak wired incorrectly? 47718B09-E5F8-47B3-90B0-D4044158A95C - EletriciansForums.net
    47718B09-E5F8-47B3-90B0-D4044158A95C.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 28
  • On peak off peak wired incorrectly? 376748E8-4CF7-4483-84D0-E89683223D69 - EletriciansForums.net
    376748E8-4CF7-4483-84D0-E89683223D69.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 28
  • On peak off peak wired incorrectly? 195FF616-1A50-42E1-9DD7-CAF0EF768E1A - EletriciansForums.net
    195FF616-1A50-42E1-9DD7-CAF0EF768E1A.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 28
  • On peak off peak wired incorrectly? 25CD5AED-5230-4593-B230-3FE524E5C384 - EletriciansForums.net
    25CD5AED-5230-4593-B230-3FE524E5C384.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 27
  • On peak off peak wired incorrectly? A095E0BF-5B89-412A-90B9-DBFDFA064AB1 - EletriciansForums.net
    A095E0BF-5B89-412A-90B9-DBFDFA064AB1.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Reply to On peak off peak wired incorrectly? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock