Discuss Advice needed on Immersion Heater moving from dual to single tariff supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Until last week I had a dual tariff electricity supply with a cheaper overnight tariff. This was good for the storage heating, but now the storage heaters are gone we've changed our electricity to a single electricity tariff.

There are two consumer units with the off peak fuseboard supplying the old storage heaters and an off peak immersion. Since moving to the single rate the off peak side is no longer working. Not a problem for the storage heaters. however, what do we do with the immersion heaters.

There are two immersion heaters in the water tank with two separate switches.

Can the previously off peak immersion be connected to the supply cable for the peak immersion so they both work together?

If we replace the switch with a immersion timer can both be wired to the same timer?

I'd obviously need to get someone in to make the changes, but not even sure what to ask for this stage.

Photos below.

Attachments

• IMG_9364.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9365.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9500.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9501.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 2
There are two immersion heaters in the water tank with two separate switches.

Can the previously off peak immersion be connected to the supply cable for the peak immersion so they both work together?
The supply cable to a single 3kW immersion heater (and the fuse or circuit breaker supplying it) is not normally suitable to run two immersions.
However you probably could have the cable for the off-peak immersion moved from the off-peak 'fusebox' to a new circuit breaker in your main 'fusebox" (consumer unit).
Just doing this without a timer means the main immersion would likely be left on all the time, which may not be the most economical solution for your hot water. (There won't be a huge difference between heating water on a timer morning and evening, compared with leaving it on all the time, there's just a little additional heat loss from the tank if you have the water at max. temperature all the time)
If we replace the switch with a immersion timer can both be wired to the same timer?
Yes if you buy a suitable timer, it will enable you to power the main (bottom) immersion from the timer, and will include a boost button to turn on the upper immersion for a shorter (probably adjustable) period. The timers design ensures only one immersion can be on at a time, so you can use the existing wiring and circuit breaker from your main consumer unit.
I'd obviously need to get someone in to make the changes, but not even sure what to ask for this stage.
A timer like this could do the job - there are many to choose from and your electrician may have a favourite.
There are also options for smart timers, so that with an app on your phone, you can turn on, off, change times etc even when away from home (for those that like gadgets!)

The supply cable to a single 3kW immersion heater (and the fuse or circuit breaker supplying it) is not normally suitable to run two immersions.
However you probably could have the cable for the off-peak immersion moved from the off-peak 'fusebox' to a new circuit breaker in your main 'fusebox" (consumer unit).
Just doing this without a timer means the main immersion would likely be left on all the time, which may not be the most economical solution for your hot water. (There won't be a huge difference between heating water on a timer morning and evening, compared with leaving it on all the time, there's just a little additional heat loss from the tank if you have the water at max. temperature all the time)

Yes if you buy a suitable timer, it will enable you to power the main (bottom) immersion from the timer, and will include a boost button to turn on the upper immersion for a shorter (probably adjustable) period. The timers design ensures only one immersion can be on at a time, so you can use the existing wiring and circuit breaker from your main consumer unit.

A timer like this could do the job - there are many to choose from and your electrician may have a favourite.
There are also options for smart timers, so that with an app on your phone, you can turn on, off, change times etc even when away from home (for those that like gadgets!)
great set of answers, thank you!

Reply to Advice needed on Immersion Heater moving from dual to single tariff supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net