Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi lads,

My client is having problems with her peak and off peak immersion. She claims she isn't getting enough hot water. I turned both thermostats up but she is still having the same problem. They are new elements but I tested them anyway and they are working fine. I'm wondering if the problem is a plumbing issue, maybe the tank isn't being filled up fully. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Hi lads,

My client is having problems with her peak and off peak immersion. She claims she isn't getting enough hot water. I turned both thermostats up but she is still having the same problem. They are new elements but I tested them anyway and they are working fine. I'm wondering if the problem is a plumbing issue, maybe the tank isn't being filled up fully. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

How olds the cylinder?

How have you confirmed that the element is ok?

Hi lads,

The OP above ^

Hum..... off peak - is the E7 actually kicking in? have they recently changed suppliers?

Peak - what is the temperature set at?

How new is new? I had to replace an immersion which was only a month old a couple of years ago. The idiot who did it the first time round fitted a copper immersion heater instead of incalloy or titanium, no surprise it had enough it had rotted through.

The Cylinder looks around 15-20 years old. I haven't had direct contact with the landlord yet, only the tenant.
I know it's incorrect but on arrival both top and bottom element were plugged into a double socket controlled by a double pole switch on a dedicated circuit for an immersion protected by a 16A MCB. The water pump is being fed from the same circuit. I've quoted to remove all sockets from that circuit, reinstate the off peak immersion to the economy 7 supply, reinstate the peak immersion and install a socket for the pump from the ring via a 3A fused spur.
I tested for continuity between live an neutral, I can't remember the reading but I did get continuity, then I tested for continuity between live and earth and then between neutral and earth and didn't get a reading.
I didn't check the cut out in the stat, is that the same as the reset button?

Hi lads,

Does this mean she's getting some hot water but not in great quantity?

The Cylinder looks around 15-20 years old. I haven't had direct contact with the landlord yet, only the tenant.
I know it's incorrect but on arrival both top and bottom element were plugged into a double socket controlled by a double pole switch on a dedicated circuit for an immersion protected by a 16A MCB. The water pump is being fed from the same circuit. I've quoted to remove all sockets from that circuit, reinstate the off peak immersion to the economy 7 supply, reinstate the peak immersion and install a socket for the pump from the ring via a 3A fused spur.
I tested for continuity between live an neutral, I can't remember the reading but I did get continuity, then I tested for continuity between live and earth and then between neutral and earth and didn't get a reading.
I didn't check the cut out in the stat, is that the same as the reset button?
Now this bit confuses me! Are you saying that both elements are fed from the 2 gang socket at the same time via a 16 amp mcb? If so has she mentioned the tripping of the breaker? Or am I reading this all wrong?
Also when you checked for continuity did both elements read roughly the same?

Is it me or is this all sounding a bit odd?

Both elements connected to a 2g socket on a dedicated circuit.

What controls when they are switched on and off?

I didn't IR the elements
I'd expect a zero value when doing continuity
I would remove the pump from the immersion circuit so the immersion doesn't interfere with the pump under fault conditions and vice versa.
I was never told what the reset button actually resets, I usually just press it anyway, I don't know why I didn't press it today.
E7 works, I turned it on to confirm power supply even though both elements were plugged into a double socket.

Why didn't you IR test the elements?
A resistance of zero when testing the element would be a dead short and result in a loud bang when switched on, use the equation associated with ohms law to work out what resistance you should get.

Why should someone have to tell you what the reset button is for, can't you manage to do your own research or even use some common sense to work out what could possibly be contained in a thermostat which may need to be reset?

She doesn't plug them both in at the same time, I asked about fuses blowing and MCB's tripping but she says nothing blows or trips.
The set up is odd because the bottom element is plugged into a timer which is plugged into the peak supply double socket

I didn't IR the elements
I'd expect a zero value when doing continuity
I would remove the pump from the immersion circuit so the immersion doesn't interfere with the pump under fault conditions and vice versa.
I was never told what the reset button actually resets, I usually just press it anyway, I don't know why I didn't press it today.
E7 works, I turned it on to confirm power supply even though both elements were plugged into a double socket.
Try again!

Dave Sparks what is the purpose of this forum? I'm on here because I need help, not a lecture so don't talk to me about common sense! A zero reading would indicate a dead short when doing IR but I did continuity.
E7 has a switch on the meter.

Dave Sparks what is the purpose of this forum? I'm on here because I need help, not a lecture so don't talk to me about common sense! A zero reading would indicate a dead short when doing IR but I did continuity.
E7 has a switch on the meter.

The purpose of this forum is to make money for the person who owns it through the advertising etc.

A zero reading on continuity is also a dead short. The element should have a specific resistance which you calculate from its power and voltage ratings. This is basic physics taught to every schoolchild so I don't think it is in any way unfair to expect you to know how to do this.

When doing continuity between live and earth and neutral and earth I'd expect 999 on my Megger. When doing continuity between live and neutral I'd expect a low value

There should be no continuity between live or neutral and earth, there should however be insulation, so you carry out an insulation test!

Hi lads,

It's impossible for the tank not to be fully filled - assuming it's being fed by a header tank of course which most are.

Water will always find its own level and from the bottom of the header tank it gallops down a pipe and enters the bottom of the cylinder, from the top of the cylinder a pipe runs back up to the very top of the expansion tank

As the cylinder is filling, water is rising back up the expansion pipe until it reaches the same level as the top of the water in the expansion tank and that is why the cylinder will always be full.

I suspect our friend Lee makes a good point at post #3.

And stop calling your customers "clients"!!

Prostitutes and Solicitors/Lawyers have "clients" and both will screw you one way or another. We who work in honourable trades, have Customers!! :sailor:

Last edited by a moderator:
Prostitutes have clients,andSolicitors/Lawyers have victims. we who work in honourable trades have Customers!!

corrected that for you.

You want the formula on the right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 87
OK being as you’re here at this early hour:

Given some of your started threads, this one in particular, what are you using for your CR readings and what ranges do you use?

Reply to Immersion problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net