Currently reading:
Internal head, new build. Cabinet material?

Discuss Internal head, new build. Cabinet material? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
New build with internal service head. (No external white box). Head and meter will be in an internal plant room.

Do DNO's normally require any sort of specified cabinet/enclosure for service head and meter board when internal for new build? - Obviously millions of garages and under stairs cupboards without right now, - but that's existing housing.

So the cabinet OK as purely cosmetic?- Chipboard etc? - But am thinking of fire and any DNO requirement.

Assuming someone has already agreed with them to install the head internally so I'm surprised the DNO haven't specified their requirements at that stage.

But you'd be best off asking them as it may vary from DNO to DNO .

Agrees with above comments. Very unusual for the DNO to allow an internal position. If so, it will be u/g in black double wall pvc ducting and encased in concrete and no more than 2m within the building. But for the DNO to agree that you got to have some good excuse ie Grade11 listed building.
What type of building is it?

Agrees with above comments. Very unusual for the DNO to allow an internal position. If so, it will be u/g in black double wall pvc ducting and encased in concrete and no more than 2m within the building. But for the DNO to agree that you got to have some good excuse ie Grade11 listed building.
What type of building is it?

We have verbally agreed the twin wall ducting (I have bought that already), and will be arranging with the slab layers to get this in. DNO seem quite OK about it all from my conv with them (but the customer had nothing in writing). Certainly no-one in my conv so far has mentioned a 2M limit. So that's another one for me to ask now! Thanks.

FYI It's a modern small domestic with a thick slab, raft foundation. Big insulation under (Passivhaus).

I recently moved supply and the DNO sent the cable jointer on a site visit. He had some slightly (more practical) different ideas than the office (who weren't the greatest). If I were you I would ensure an early site visit before you undertake work that may require revisiting. Especially groundworks.

Edit... Thought I'd add, internal supply heads are not normally tolerated unless good reason like conservation areas, listed building etc. DNO will be more likely to be worried about the board they will mount cutout/isolator on than any cabinet for the meter.

As mentioned above, get it all confirmed in writing. The DNO must of issued you / customer a quotes for said work. The quote usually has a detailed drawing showing all the proposed work required, indicating who is doing what.

Reply to Internal head, new build. Cabinet material? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock