Discuss 1st floor lateral cable replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BringItOn

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, this is a repost of the initial in diy as the only potential diy aspect is the prep ahead of a qualified person attending, this is hopefully the more appropriate place..

I’m looking to find out about options and necessities for a pending certified installation.
In the ground floor flat two 100a fuses are fitted to the supply cables to each property. Standard DNO as far as I’ve been able determine, this Lateral (supply) cable to the 1st floor is a 35mm solid core aluminium with combined earth neutral copper sheathing split off into two ports at the Henly block being the respective live and neutral/ earth. The DNO have pulled the fuse due to suspect fault and require a new lateral cable be installed and certified so they can reconnect the service, seems straight forward enough. My questions being:
1. Will this be a like cable replacement as in same spec or must as a regulatory requirement this be upgraded to something from the latest regs?
2. The pathway within the ground floor flat for this lateral cable runs in the wall behind the kitchen base and wall units (with a stunning marble slab as a solid counter to cabinet wall to wall upstand) then into the reinforced concrete ceiling and into the sub floor of the 1st floor kitchen. Can this new cable be routed along the exterior profile of the building as far as is necessary to avoid taking the same invasive path as the current cable and if so can this be chased into the wall - at what depth if not right through into the cavity recess and must this be cased in a particular type of protective trunking before being concreted over (with pebbledash finishing!).

The residents of both properties would be most relieved if the ‘external’ route is an option. We’d like to save the expense and also expedite the service restoration by chasing out the wall while waiting for the respectable spark to arrive and proceed with the new cable installation.
Thanks in advance for any help and information on this.

1 - it's unlikely the same cable type would be used again, based on what you've said
2 - there will be a way to use an external run, though it might require extra switchgear and dictate cable selection. There are several options for meeting the regs if chasing it in and you need to talk to the sparks before you start.

Even if a sparks is too busy to start right away most would make time for a chat especially if you are willing to save them some work. Before you pick up a hammer and bolster I highly recommend you have a site meeting with the sparks and agree the plan.

Reply to 1st floor lateral cable replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net