Discuss chasing wall for consumer unit cables or trunking ... Advice needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

King84

Trainee
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am after a bit of advice.

Just done rewiring for a property but the main incoming supply cable is just right next to the main entrance door so agreed with the customer to install a new consumer unit right above the meter as shows in the picture.

The lighting circuit and upstairs sockets tails dropped down right above from the ceiling in the corner but as the customer said he will put a big enclosure around the consumer unit at later date so my question is do I chase the wall for cables and put them behind capping or just used maxi trunking in the corner to keep the cables that dropped down from ceiling.
My concern is if I chase cable and put them in caping so at later date when someone gets the enclosure done might drive a nail or something in to the wall but just any idea or sugguestions welcome.

p.s downstair sockets and kitchen sockets will come from ground floor so as they would be coming from down below so will be using couple of pvc conduits with female adaptors for neat entry in to consumer unit but just need to decide from the top
thanks

Attachments

• consumer unit.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 72
thanks for the reply however, its only going to be boxed upto consumer unit and the above part of the wall is going to be left skimmed so was wondering if chasing the wall or trunking in the corner would be viable option

if you mean just the cables going up from the new CU, either option is viable. bear in mind if buried/chased in, all circuits need RCD protection.

It’s a shame the cutout and meter can’t be dragged down 12 inches so a new consumer unit could be fitted where the meter is now. keeping everything below the dado railings

i would use galv trunking for my cables which gives you a nice industrial look which i absolutely love

infact I’m doing so 20mm galv conduit in a house this week for additional sockets and it looks lovely against the bare face brick fireplace

One consideration if putting the CU above the meter can it be reached for re-setting any tripped circuit? Especially important if the occupants are elderly and will need steps to reach it.

One consideration if putting the CU above the meter can it be reached for re-setting any tripped circuit? Especially important if the occupants are elderly and will need steps to reach it.
I think photo perspective is strange, if you look at letter box height...it's a mid height dado rail not a high one.
Certainly not an easy/obvious one - agree with trunking.
In ideal world I think I'd suggest getting meter moved down 3 inches and getting new CU under the rail. Obviously the spur and transformer can move.
(Btw - any bonding needed as none visible?)

I would move the meter down, put in isolator and chase the cable in. That way you can put the CU below the dado rail and get it all boxed in neatly. I have done 2 x 2 trunking in that situation previously. Nice and easy to add things then as people are wont to do. A socket above the dado rail for the comms equipment as well.

Reply to chasing wall for consumer unit cables or trunking ... Advice needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net