Currently reading:
Is Part P a lot of nonsense?

Discuss Is Part P a lot of nonsense? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Part P as a Building Reg isn't to blame, it's the parasitic profit orientated companies they allowed into our industry to administer it that's ALWAYS been the problem.

Those who without any consultation with long standing recognised bodies in the industry, or consideration for safety, (which was why they were created in the first place and laughably all beat the drum too, to this day) went on to irresponsibly invent/create the total nonsense title of ''Domestic Installer'' or as are better known as the Electrical Trainee. Not only did they allow these wannabes into the industry via the back door for purely monetary terms, they had the audacity to class time served and experienced fully qualified electricians with the SAME title!!

Example.
A friend, who contracts for me regularly and has been a qualified electrician for 35 years, has recently been undergoing inspection by the NICEIC....to become a 'Domestic Installer'. He feels aggrieved, having to pay the fee to be recognized as such and would take great exception to being tagged alongside Electrical Trainee's, having been self employed for the last 10 years and NAPIT assured until 2 years ago, when his own work load didn't warrant continued membership. He served his time at Hawkers/British Aero and is no mean spark.
Agree entirely with what you say. It just goes to show what sort of system they've created when a tradesman of such standing is offered his ''L'' plates.......for the fee, of course.

As a practicing electrician you should own the latest regs book regardless of what the NIC say.

The new BS7671 comes out in January but wont come in to effect until July.

I've been buying the regs books for years and remember when you could download the amendments which in my opinion made a lot of sense in terms of reduced cost. Having to buy a new copy when a new amendment comes out presents the question: "as this become another money spinning racket that we have to pay for"? How often do they change the electricity at work act?

I've been buying the regs books for years and remember when you could download the amendments which in my opinion made a lot of sense in terms of reduced cost. Having to buy a new copy when a new amendment comes out presents the question: "as this become another money spinning racket that we have to pay for"? How often do they change the electricity at work act?
Twice I can think of, 1989 being the last time

Has the penny only just dropped for you then?? The whole industry has become a money making Scam for just about everybody, even to the point of including The City and Guilds Institute and other once respected bodies!!

You have a conservatory??!!!

Aah, be careful with your definitions!! What is considered a conservatory in Newcastle is no more than the loo at the bottom of the garden in deepest Liverpool. Some even have toilet paper rather then torn up strips of newspaper hanging off a nail. But Im guessing Tel isnt from the posh end of town .....

The whole thing stinks it's all a con,same as 3mm of exposed metal on a probe,and lots of other stuff like working live.The other day I was doing a quick job for my old man and removed a socket front with the power on,he started going mad about it still being live,I ended up telling him that if I wasn't capable of doing what I was doing safely with the power on then I had no right to be doing it any way.It's not money making schemes that are needed these days it's PROPER training and education,only then will we have safety.

Reply to Is Part P a lot of nonsense? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock