Discuss Joint cables inside back box? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

^^^^^tend to agree^^^^^ .....because it is a tad surprising that a qualified electrician needs to ask how to extend a RFC. If the OP was competant enough to ignore part p he wouldnt have to ask how to do the job.
I've been known to ignore part p but then I've been extending RFC's for decades before part p was a twinkle in the governments eye.

My point exactly. Extending an RFC is just another day at the office for a qualified electrician imo.

Not every Qualified Electrician out there does domestic/commercial day in day out......many work in the industrial environment working on machinery,control panels, etc within a factory (for example).In this sort of enviroment you dont deal with ringmains so much (office electrics in some big factories tend to be done by outside contractors).

OP could be one of these type of sparks for all we know, unsure of the latest regs but know's what he wants to do and came here to check he's doing it correctly to the current reg's.

Wago's are the mutt's nuts...defo give them a go. As stated a ring extension is notifiable under (the farce) that is Part P.

Not every Qualified Electrician out there does domestic/commercial day in day out......many work in the industrial environment working on machinery,control panels, etc within a factory (for example).In this sort of enviroment you dont deal with ringmains so much (office electrics in some big factories tend to be done by outside contractors).

OP could be one of these type of sparks for all we know, unsure of the latest regs but know's what he wants to do and came here to check he's doing it correctly to the current reg's.

Wago's are the mutt's nuts...defo give them a go. As stated a ring extension is notifiable under (the farce) that is Part P.

Sorry.....a rings a ring whether it's in a factory or the OP's kitchen.....a 'qualified electrician' should be able to deal with one.

You may think it's tosh and I may think it's tosh, but it is the law. Very irresponsible to suggest to someone on a public forum to ignore it.​

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...int-cables-inside-back-box.html#ixzz213ORD4lk
I didn't say he should ignore it, I was just pointing out the reallity of the situation. At the end of the day people will ignore Part P and do work for themselves - Fact. He is simply asking for advice on the correct way of doing the job rather than just doing it wrong.

OP was checking to makesure what he wanted to do was within the latest reg's regarding the method of jointing the cable's. There's no doubt from the original post that he knew how to deal with a ring, was a reg's check.

So..what's wrong with twist and tape? only joking.bored incarcerated in this place. can't wait till i get out. hopefully tomorrow

- - - Updated - - -

So..what's wrong with twist and tape? only joking.bored incarcerated in this place. can't wait till i get out. hopefully tomorrow

so, it,s ok to spur 3 sockets off of the existing one without going thro a fused switch-spur??

sorry, just had another look, it is a ring! my mistake

Last edited by a moderator:

My apprenticeship was as an industrial electrical engineer, and of course you learn about extending RFC's. If you want to talk regs, or even the law, then it is notifiable. End of.
For all any of us know, any person asking for help on here could be Manny the handyman, asking for advice on how to earn a living from "having a go" at notifiable work.
If I tell you that I'm a bank, will you lend me all your money? :)

My posts are obviously like reading the reg's......i type them knowing what i want them to mean but they get read in a totaly different way *mutters*.

I'll go back to chewing on the cabbages around here just outside my cave....'tis a happy simple place.

My apprenticeship was as an industrial electrical engineer, and of course you learn about extending RFC's. If you want to talk regs, or even the law, then it is notifiable. End of.
For all any of us know, any person asking for help on here could be Manny the handyman, asking for advice on how to earn a living from "having a go" at notifiable work.
If I tell you that I'm a bank, will you lend me all your money? :)
yep...if folk want to do anything on their own homes/property....then let em i say.....but just handing out advice/info off the cuff.....

I'm a funny old fellow me...
I don't hate part P and moan about it like everyone else does
But I dont go around enforcing it either...like everyone else does

The guy obvioulsy knows what hes doing and how to do it, its his house, If I was in his situation I'd do it myself and not notify so I'd be a hypocrit to tell him he shouldn't do it.

I'm a funny old fellow me...
I don't hate part P and moan about it like everyone else does
But I dont go around enforcing it either...like everyone else does

The guy obvioulsy knows what hes doing and how to do it, its his house, If I was in his situation I'd do it myself and not notify so I'd be a hypocrit to tell him he shouldn't do it.

I don't hate part P, I hate that some people ignore it and don't bother forking out the hard-earned cash that most of us do, resulting in the electricians who do things by the book trying to compete on an uneven basis.
You don't know who's qualified and competent any more than I do, along with not really knowing if it even is their own house, hence I try to be careful what I advise people to do.
As for enforcing part P... explain how we manage that. I thought we were merely trying to let people understand what their obligations are, regardless of whether they suit them.

i also had to double take at the picture. thought it was a spur.

just my 2ps, this is an extention to a ring circuit. and is notifiable works, and as such should be inspected after the works have taken place be that by the qualified electrican doing the work or the buildings control.
if you are doing this as a diy'er or a homeowner i would advise that it is well within your interests to get an electrician to carry this work out and sign it off.
As im sure you are well aware, it will invaludate your home insurance. and should the work be subject to a fire. will leave you high and dry.
i know that if i were in the same boat, id pay someone.

personally i would use a normal nylon insulated connector to join the cables within the box or a proper crimp
those other things are for panel connections and desighned to fit onto a din rail

And obviously you've never seen a blank plate plasterd over then! I've seen it for too many times!

And how many times have we crimped out a socket and put on a blank plate knowing damn well the customer is going to whip off the blank plate and fill it with plaster / tile over it?
I even 'discuss' safe zones with customers sometimes while watching a small smile of 'yeah whatever' on thier faces.

Ive created uproar! haha, yea im not a domestic electrician, industrial! Was just seeing if this was the 'done' thing, or if there was a more preferred way of going about it..

as for part p.. ive just bought my house, there was no documentation or test certificates for any electrical work whatsoever (when does a home buyer EVER get those when buying a house..?!)

So whos to say that the electrics ive installed/may install werent already there when i bought it? no one! - it was like that when i turned up! :smilewinkgrin:

I would never do any unsafe work that would jeopardize my or any one else's safety. Nor would I do work that would cause damage to my home..

just seems crazy, thats all

Reply to Joint cables inside back box? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock