Currently reading:
Lighting design help (2396 project)

Discuss Lighting design help (2396 project) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I'm again struggling with a long overdue 2396 project but, as before, am at a standstill when it comes to the lighting design.

Please could someone point me in the right direction? I don't know how many luminaires there should be.

The scenario is a fire station appliance bay built for two fire engines.

I think I need to achieve 150 lux on the floor in normal operation (as it's a bit like a loading bay) and 1 lux on the floor for emergency operation (as it's an escape route), with due consideration of the obstacles (the fire engines are probably about 3.3m high). The bay is 15.8m x 13m x 4.8m high. It has plaster finish walls and epoxy-based paint finish to bare screed floor and of course those two big shiny metal fire engines!

I'd like to use this 1500mm maintained LED batten (Tamlite Lighting Cyclone G Linear IP66 weatherproof 63W 9800 lumens, 370lm emergency lumen operating; beam angle 128deg), admittedly because it's the only luminaire whose spec I could find online setting out beam angle, lumen and emergency lumen.

This is how I've tried to approach this.

At first I thought I should use the Lumen Method F = (E*A)/(U*M). Having realised I would not be able to come up with a sensible U factor taking into account all reflective surfaces, windows etc., I thought I could probably get away with providing sketchy values for U (say 0.6) and M (say 0.7) for the whole room area, then just divide that by the manufacturer's total lumen output for a given fitting to get the number of fittings required (doing this I got eight fittings), then locate the fittings around the obstacles. But then I realised the ceiling was higher than normal which must make a difference to the result, so I probably should be adding some other factor (which I couldn't find by googling). Also I realised with dismay that I probably shouldn't have even used the manufacturer's lumen output to begin with because it refers to the total output from a 1.5m long batten fitting, and not from a point source (and I couldn't find out how to deal with this either by googling).

So then I thought maybe I could get around the problem by applying instead the cosine law to either end of the batten fitting as if each end were a point source, which would at least take into account the high ceiling. Then maybe I could convert candela into lumen ... and really now I'm just plugging in values and hoping for the best, and the niggling doubt of applying a formula made for a point light source to a linear light source application is still there. I won't pretend I understand fully about converting candela into lumen over a steradian etc. but I can't imagine it can be used here.

No amount of effort I've made so far as got me out of this hideous loop of confusion and I think I'm making this too complicated. But I just can't see my way out of here. Please can someone help?

Thanks in advance :)

Suki

Reply to Lighting design help (2396 project) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock