Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for advice on fitting light in attic in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gerbil

I went to b&q looking for a fluorescent light to fit in the attic but as the b&q staff wasn't helpful i was wondering what is the best between a 5ft 58 watt diffused electronic fluorescent light and a 5ft 58 watt slimline electronic fluorescent light. As i'm no electrician i was thinking of wiring the light up and putting a plug on the end or would it be easy is it for a diyer to fit the light up in the attic

Due to current regs you will have to fit a 13A plug to the end as you need to be Part P registered to extend the lighting circuit (minor works). Could be a pain dropping the hatch and plugging in every time you go up. Best bet is to get it done properly with handy switche/s, it wont cost you much in the grand scheme of things.

I thought Part P only came into play when it was kitchens, bathrooms and external locations? As I'm more commercially biased than domestic, please correct me if I'm incorrect...

You are correct adding lights to an existing circuit is not notifiable page 21 of guide to building regs mentions this.

Chris

Quote " Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit" note f applies. Attic is not a special location page 21 guide to building regs

Chris

Yes, that's what I thought was correct. Part P was brought in to help combat rogue kitchen and bathroom fitters, people who don't bother with safe zones etc., just bang it in and b***er off.

It was the kitchen utensils Rack in the kitchen, sorry it was in a conservatory to the side of the open plan kitchen diner the husband put the rack up 3 years prior to the accident poor bloke.

Just realized that sounded rather Cludeo ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to current regs you will have to fit a 13A plug to the end as you need to be Part P registered to extend the lighting circuit (minor works). Could be a pain dropping the hatch and plugging in every time you go up. Best bet is to get it done properly with handy switche/s, it wont cost you much in the grand scheme of things.

Seeing as your a DIYer thought I would mention that 13A plug, if used, needs to be fitted with a 3amp fuse, 5 max. Fellow sparky's would know this, you might not. ;)

Reply to Looking for advice on fitting light in attic in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back