Currently reading:
Main bonding not in place?

Discuss Main bonding not in place? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rm0210

Hi all.

Just wondered what other sparky's view on where main bonding is not in place when you look at a job(no matter how small)

ive been told buy my part p assessor that if the main bonding is not in place you should say to the customer that this needs to be done before any electrical work is carried out.if the customer refuses to get this done,you should walk away from the job.

Ive looked through the regs(as much as i can cope with!)and the osg and have found nothing to back this up in black and white.

In the past if the bonding is not in place or bieng hidden behind kitchen funiture for example i have made the customer aware of this and made a note on the test report(minor works)or issued a failed pir or eic for the work i have done because they have refused to get the bonding done.

What does everybody else do?

Walkaway?
Advise?
Allow it in quote and do if accepted?

i understand how important main bonding is especially pme systems but surely you cant keep walking off jobs beacuse it is not in place!
:)
:)

You don't walk off a job because its not in place.

If carrying out a PIR you note the relevant deviation.

When carrying out any minor works or installation works you upgrade the bonding as part of the job.

Otherwise your certificate is not valid, because ADS or EEBADS has not been met.

Your assessor is correct.
You should advise the client this needs to be done before work commences.
You can look as long and hard as you like in the BRB but its a requirement, sometimes if the installation has a 6mm you can note it but not when there is none.
You are signing the certificate and you are responsible for the safety of the works at the end of the job so cover your own backside and tell the client the truth, its for their own good, you are the professional and should give the correct advise.

Hi & welcome.:)

Additions & Alterations

There is no regulation in BS7671 that requires an existing installation to be upgraded to the current standard.
However the requirements for carrying out an addition or alteration must be met. p4 Before an addition or alteration can be made to an existing installation it must be ascertained that the earthing and bonding arrangements comply with the current version of BS7671 and any existing electrical equipment including the incoming supply is adequate for the proposed addition or alteration. 131.8
Before an addition or alteration to an installation is energised, inspection and testing must be carried out to ensure the requirements of BS 7671 have been met and an appropriate certificate must then be issued. 134.2.1, 610.6, 631.1
Any defects found in the existing installation must be recorded on the Electrical Installation Certificate or Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate. 633.2

Reply to Main bonding not in place? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock