Discuss Mechanical protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ah , no worries.
just make up the solutions as you go along , works for me. ;-)
as for swa , its a permitted type for rcd free circuits so dont discount it.

I should hope not. Might be indestructable to a hammer and flames but it would be pretty easy to ram a nail thru it.

It doesnt have to , as with swa , neither will stop a nail but they are allowed because having a completely surrounding metallic covering guarantees to activate the circuit device on penetration.

It doesnt have to , as with swa , neither will stop a nail but they are allowed because having a completely surrounding metallic covering guarantees to activate the circuit device on penetration.

Not if the nail creates a path between earth and neutral :D

No in all seriousness, I totally get what you're saying and I'm aware of the reasons why SWA is considered suitable mechanical protection for a non-RCD protected circuit, however in my mind, I like to either protect a cable with an RCD, or I like to protect it from damage all together.

I'm not saying you're not right, I just don't like using SWA to protect buried cables, underground or in walls unless RCD protected also, this is purely down to personal preference :)

is micc / pyro allowable for rcd free circuits ? hmm not sure , might be.
I raised this one on here a while ago and was told NO.
However the csa of the metallic sheath is suitable for use as a cpc, so I think, but should not say, that you could use this to omit RCD protection.
This is only my opinion and is not supported by others.

DS have you never touched earth and neutral together on an isolated circuit and tripped the RCD?

1 Layer of earthed metallic sheathing is all that is required to meet the old "EEBADS" method of protection for vulnerable cables.
As long as it's earthed, it provides EEB.
And as long as the the circuit is protected by the correct rating of fuse/circuit breaker then it is protected by ADS.
It also has a degree of mechanical protection for ordinary persons using tacs etc for fixing pictures, but if a drill is used or heavy nails etc then it will be pierced but that just brings us back to making sure it is "earthed".
It behaves in exactly the same way as an swa cable.
It's mentioned in the regs about conduit or swa or "earthed metallic protection".

I raised this one on here a while ago and was told NO.
However the csa of the metallic sheath is suitable for use as a cpc, so I think, but should not say, that you could use this to omit RCD protection.
This is only my opinion and is not supported by others.

i agree with that , and i've put that assessment into to practice this week.
tidying up wiring in grans house this week including re-jigging circuits in CU.
noticed that garage supply is actually pyro cable fed from the ring main mcb on the rcd side of split board.
Wanted to put garage on its own mcb ( plenty of spare ways ) but on the non-rcd side so freezer in garage doesnt trip the whole house if fault.
May not comply strictly speaking but did it anyway as its the most practical solution without spending big money.
i did a mental risk assessment and micc in ducting under block paving is unlikey to get damaged anytime soon :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with that , and i've put that assessment into to practice this week.
tidying up wiring in grans house this week including re-jigging circuits in CU.
noticed that garage supply is actually pyro cable fed from the ring main mcb on the rcd side of split board.
Wanted to put garage on its own mcb ( plenty of spare ways ) but on the non-rcd side so freezer in garage doesnt trip the whole house if fault.
May not comply strictly speaking but did it anyway as its the most practical solution without spending big money.
i did a mental risk assessment and micc in ducting under block paving is unlikey to get damaged anytime soon :)

It's all down to common sense most of the time aint it. Regs are regs.. but from time to time, we all realise that sections of the regs were never written by people living on this planet :D

Given that situation, I would have probably done the same thing, but I would still have used an RCBO.

Reply to Mechanical protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock