Discuss Moving a Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, hoping you can assist with your combined knowledge.

So i need to put in a new board, after doing an EICR there was no RCD protection on the sockets and the tenant frequently uses the sockets for outdoor electrical equipment. The board is old anyway.

So i was going to put in a new board in the place of the old board but the space is too small (Around 260mm). I know you can buy small boards but it wouldn't be future proofing the property if i put in a small 6 way board.

Next i was going to use the original unit as the extension box but as you can see from the pics there is no front cover as theve replaced the original fuses with updated trip MCBs.

Can anyone recommend a small DIM rail or plain extension box to extend the cables out using Maintenance Free connectors?

Cheers

Andy

Attachments

• 20210611_102415.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 45
I would be looking at getting rid of that old RCCB and installing one of these: 4 + 6 Dual Row Dual 100A RCD Split Load Metal Clad Consumer Unit - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4718975-4-6-dual-row-dual-rcd-split-load-metal-clad-consumer-unit?gclid=Cj0KCQjwk4yGBhDQARIsACGfAettknDM2oHQvZOU4Nc0Bhwu8lds0GWYON_KnJrmtjwsVdHCGfW-3g8aAt2cEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You may need the seal fairy to intervene though, or the supplier, but whilst they are there get them to put in a cut out.

I would be looking to install an all RCBO board as my main preference.

Last edited:
The photo doesn't show enough to the left of the consumer unit to be sure, but why can't you just extend the mounting board to the left, same thickness as the current board? You might well have room for a 14-way all-RCBO board.

I quite like Mike's idea. Other thoughts / options....

A Wylex 6 way is usually 272mm wide and 186mm high.
I've previously been in a similar position and found this product is a reasonably close match to the Wylex in terms of size and works quite well as an extension box.
240 x 190 x 90mm IP56 Moulded Box | Gewiss (GW44208) - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GWBX974.html
(240mm x 190mm).

One other thought - if you can find about more 3cm to the left and about 8cm above you can get a Fusebox 10 way in.

As others have said there clearly looks to be space around the existing backboard to fit a larger CU over the footprint of the old wylex CU even if you have to extend the backboard

A couple of options for me would be a Live electrical 8 way CU at 233mm wide and a 10 way is only 279mm wide consumer units & enclosures — live - https://www.liveelectrical.co.uk/consumerunits, how many ways do you need

Personally I wouldn't create more work with a box to the extend the cables to a new position

Last edited:
Some sensible comments already, but it's also worth considering whether any future expansion is actually likely, especially if it's a let property. If there's already a Cooker/Hob feed and/or one to a shower, then the chances of anything much being added may be slim (Electric vehicle is unlikely in a rented properly but might well need a separate CU anyway)

Especially given there is no guarantee that in a few years the same parts will be available, or that something like AFDDs might be required for new work, which may or may not be available/cost effective with the same brand...

Obviously discuss the options with the landlord and let them have the final say

Cheers for all of your comments guys. Really useful and definitely food for thought.

I love the idea of Mike's for the 2 tier CS but I've already quoted for a cheaper board. The lady who is rented has asked for the board to be higher as it is very low down and she's elderly. To the left is some cooker switching so I'll probably go with the recommended expansion box the size of the wylex...bring the cables back up behind the wooden fixing to the new CS....which is 12 way, so plenty of room for new circuits in the future.

Not sure if I'll mount it direct on the wall or add a new backboard yet, I'll have a think.

Anyway thanks for all your assistance guys.

Andy

Cheers for all of your comments guys. Really useful and definitely food for thought.

I love the idea of Mike's for the 2 tier CS but I've already quoted for a cheaper board. The lady who is rented has asked for the board to be higher as it is very low down and she's elderly. To the left is some cooker switching so I'll probably go with the recommended expansion box the size of the wylex...bring the cables back up behind the wooden fixing to the new CS....which is 12 way, so plenty of room for new circuits in the future.

Not sure if I'll mount it direct on the wall or add a new backboard yet, I'll have a think.

Anyway thanks for all your assistance guys.

Andy
If the cables are running down the wall can you not break out some plaster pull the cables back then put a new backboard over with the cables through into the back of the new consumer unit

If the cables are running down the wall can you not break out some plaster pull the cables back then put a new backboard over with the cables through into the back of the new consumer unit
I'd say that was the better option. eliminates all those joints.

Reply to Moving a Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net