Currently reading:
New career as an electrician - advice needed please

Discuss New career as an electrician - advice needed please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Joeacox

Hi all, I am a 28 yr old who has decided a career change. I currently work as a software technician/support tech in an office. I am fed up of been sat at my desk listening and making calls when my interest is being an electrician.

The advice I would like is on the following.
am I too old to start out as a new electrician?

i have been contacted to do a domestic installation course with British Gas. It's a 5-6 week containing the following -

· EAL Level 2 Domestic Electrical Installer Scheme
· City & Guilds 2382-12 17th Edition Wiring Regulations
· City & Guilds 2392-10 Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification of Electrical Installations
· City & Guilds Accredited Basic Electrical Skills

Does the above course sound good to go with for £3995 inc vat - to start with?

I am interested in domestic installation to start with and further down the line i would like to move into renewable energy in domestic/comercial buldings have a degree in environmental management as well that got me interested in the renewable side.

i am slightly colour blind - this has only effected me when doing certain Ishihara test. I can clearly distinguish between colours with no problems. Would I have to declare this and would it affect me down the line?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read!

Joe

When i started my apprentership i had to do an eye-test so im guessing you should get one done - don't want any fatal mistakes further down the line.

I don't like that price, infact it disgusts me - but i won't go into reasons for this.

Good luck.

You could probably go down the part time college route which is a more accepted route with forum members on here for half of the figure you stated. Not sure on the new C&G codes now though.

Hi joe
You will get know where with the above courses.
Well the 17th is needed, but cost only a few ££ max, the rest... Not worth the paper they are written on.
NVQ3 & 2391 are what you should look to end up with... Oh and 17th edition.
Go you local tech and find out more, don't fall for the BG scam

HTH

Ste

I retrained at 27, I found my local college did a course the c&g 2330 part time. This then led onto various other certificates etc. the bg price is very high for what you get and you won't learn half as much on 5 weeks. I would get an eye test done as you don't want to spend a ton of cash and find out you can't do this

Hi mate,good luck with the new career but dont do the BG course,a complete waste of money and at best you'll come out as a domestic installer not an electrician.As others have said go to college and save some cash.

Welcome to the forum!
I think you're either very brave or misinformed to do what you're talking about - there is already an abundant supply of domestic installers with IT backgrounds and very little demand, especially for colour blind ones.

It might be worth searching through past threads on this forum regarding terms such as "retraining", "Domestic Installer" and "5 Week Wonder (Electrical Trainee)".

Hello there mate, I was in the same seratrio as yourself. My advice would be to go to a goverment funded college. Weekends or evening. I'm guessing that price is for a private company. Don't be coned

Thanks for all feedback!

Mike MDJ - I'm not sure how colourblind i am, I was told I was in primary school! I have no problem identifying colours at all. I will have to take a test to make sure. I am aware that a friend of mine did a electrotechnical technician course and he did not get asked to do a test.

I have come to the conclusion after researching my local colleges that the British gas course is a rip off and won't provide me with the necessary experience. I also have a rep coming to my house this Wednesday evening to try sell me a course that works around my family life but I am presuming this is also a con/rip off.

An electrician is what I want to be. Eventually I want to be an electrician working with and installing renewable energy. I am visiting a career advisor on Tuesday so I guess they may be able to provide me with some information in regards to best method of training so I can still pay my outgoings while training. I have also got some college opening days in feb and march at Bradford and Leeds college.

Are the 2391, 17th edition and NVQ3 qualifications the courses I should be starting with and in that order? To begin my career path? Thanks for everyones support.

I have come to the conclusion after researching my local colleges that the British gas course is a rip off and won't provide me with the necessary experience. I also have a rep coming to my house this Wednesday evening to try sell me a course that works around my family life but I am presuming this is also a con/rip off.

An electrician is what I want to be. Eventually I want to be an electrician working with and installing renewable energy. I am visiting a career advisor on Tuesday so I guess they may be able to provide me with some information in regards to best method of training so I can still pay my outgoings while training. I have also got some college opening days in feb and march at Bradford and Leeds college.

Are the 2391, 17th edition and NVQ3 qualifications the courses I should be starting with and in that order? To begin my career path? Thanks for everyones support.

The rep that is coming, im guessing is a fast-track rep. If so, do not believe anything they say + don't sign anything. They charge the earth and in 99% of cases deliver nothing. Some Electrical Trainee exceptions but very very few. Avoid the fast-track route like the plague, the "qualifications" you recieve from them aren't thought highly of in the profession at all.

C&G2365 and 17th(2382) are what you need to crack on with. Then 2391 a little later on (now the 2394 and 2395)

No matter what you're told by the rep about becoming a spark in X amount of time, do not believe. The correct NVQ route takes years for a reason.

The Tortoise and the Hare - this sums its up pretty well.

The best people to speak to would be your local further education college. They might not offer you a fast track or work around your personal life but they will offer you a route into the industry which potential employers recognise.

Reply to New career as an electrician - advice needed please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock