Currently reading:
New road tax system

Discuss New road tax system in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I Receive a reminder yesterday telling me both the vans were due at the beginning of December and this is my last chance to pay before I presume I get fined. My question is have I missed the original letter or do they not remind you now when it is due, Are we now expected to remember when it's due for renewal. Also how come if it was due at the beginning that they have allowed until the end of december without a fine.

I miss the tax disc already, it was much easier having a constant reminder in the windscreen.

I still don't know though whether they expect us to know when it's due or if they still notify you when it's due Clive can you shine any light on it.

Even though we received the reminder for the misses car last month for the December renewal, I only remembered the tax disc on the 18th of December - nice and easy on line - but why can't they just send out a tax disc?

I think this change is assuming everybody has the vehicle registered at the correct address and we are all law abiding!

The thing that I find strange is I have been driving for a month with no tax and have not been pulled once or fined so it does seem like a flawed system. I could understand if having failed to tax it that it then went onto the database and triggered anpr's etc but it seems it is going to work in the favour of the tax dodgers, while the honest drivers keep paying when they could probably not bother.

Last edited:
I reported two cars parked outside my house that (according to the gov website) were SORN. Three weeks later they clamped the remaining vehicle and the owner must have paid the fine because they released it the next day!!!
It's a farce really.

That's the thing with the tax disc in a windscreen it shows you what you need to know, Don't get me wrong I know technology advances and I am all for that but why try to fix something that isn't broke unless of course you're a Plumber.

If you ask me, the tax disc way was archaic and should have been scrapped years, if not decades, ago. New system is much easier even if it means we're gonna have to drag a few people kicking and screaming. And yes, we certainly are a nation of moaners.

If you ask me, the tax disc way was archaic and should have been scrapped years, if not decades, ago. New system is much easier even if it means we're gonna have to drag a few people kicking and screaming. And yes, we certainly are a nation of moaners.

But it worked, the new system is no better, and possibly a little worse.

But it worked, the new system is no better, and possibly a little worse.
My dad's 15th edition board works too, but we all know there are improvements in store to be had. Yeah the new tax system hasn't been without its teething problems, but it's definitely a step in the right direction in my eyes.

But the moment you hand over the cash for the car you have travelled 100 miles to buy is technically not taxed , although the paper work is not through you are still breaking the law driving it. Right?

But the moment you hand over the cash for the car you have travelled 100 miles to buy is technically not taxed , although the paper work is not through you are still breaking the law driving it. Right?
This was my point I have technically been driving for a month with no road tax ( not intentially obviously ) and nothing as happened. I am curious now though whether I will get a full 6 months or whether I will lose a month due to the late payment.

This was my point I have technically been driving for a month with no road tax ( not intentially obviously ) and nothing as happened. I am curious now though whether I will get a full 6 months or whether I will lose a month due to the late payment.
The thing that gets me is its supposedly a modern system but we still work in months. If I buy a car on the 25th I will have to pay a months tax for 5 days motoring which is wrong. There's no reason our new system shouldn't be able to handle everyone's months starting on different days.

The new tax period will start from when the old one expired.

You can't be fined until the start of the next month, (you never could be) as you may pay up on the last day.

Previously you would have been fined for Failure to display, but that can't happen anymore.

Cheers Snowhead.

You can opt for an email acknowledgement of payment as you always could with Online.
Comes like this; (but with numbers on it..)

Confirmation of vehicle tax.

Thank you for using DVLA Vehicle Licensing Online.
Your application for vehicle tax has been successful.

Vehicle Registration Number:
Reference Number:
Application Made On: 10/10/2015 09:07:50
Vehicle Tax Period: 12 months
Vehicle Tax Amount Paid: GBP 290.00
Last 4 Digits of Payment Card:

The law has changed, you do not need to display a tax disc, therefore we will not issue one to you.

You may wish to save or print this email confirmation for your record

The thing that gets me is its supposedly a modern system but we still work in months. If I buy a car on the 25th I will have to pay a months tax for 5 days motoring which is wrong. There's no reason our new system shouldn't be able to handle everyone's months starting on different days.
The way I understand it is, if you buy a car say in the middle of the month that hasn't been sorned ie still taxed then the new owner wont need to pay for the road fund licence for that month as technically the vehicle is still taxed, meanwhile the previous owner can only claim for full months that remain and not any part months.
I may be wrong of course, but my apprentice recently purchased a car with a week's still left to run and was unable to purchase any road tax until the following month. It makes perfect sense to me.

The way I understand it is, if you buy a car say in the middle of the month that hasn't been sorned ie still taxed then the new owner wont need to pay for the road fund licence for that month as technically the vehicle is still taxed, meanwhile the previous owner can only claim for full months that remain and not any part months.
I may be wrong of course, but my apprentice recently purchased a car with a week's still left to run and was unable to purchase any road tax until the following month. It makes perfect sense to me.
I was of the understanding the vehicle is untaxed the second the keys change hands and therefore needs taxing before driving away

Just looked here and you definitely have to buy tax before driving (as in you won't get the remainder of the month as your apprentice thought)
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Last edited by a moderator:
But the dvla/vosa don't yet know that the vehicle has changed hands therefore you'll be unable to tax it again during a 'taxed month'.
When you phone/go online you select the option for new keeper and you can tax it. I know because I did this when I bought I my van earlier in the year. Is bought it on the 22nd and was able to tax it

So I Receive a reminder yesterday telling me both the vans were due at the beginning of December and this is my last chance to pay before I presume I get fined. My question is have I missed the original letter or do they not remind you now when it is due, Are we now expected to remember when it's due for renewal. Also how come if it was due at the beginning that they have allowed until the end of december without a fine.

I miss the tax disc already, it was much easier having a constant reminder in the windscreen.

Just set up a monthly direct debit, I pay £12.25 on the 1st of each month and all I got as a reminder was an e-mail tellingme that unless I went on line and cancelled it they would continue to take the direct debit for the next 12 months EASY-PEASY ;-)

The new system is supposed to prevent someone purchasing a taxed vehicle and driving it uninsured.
From what I understand, for the first month, the ANPR system does not automatically pick up vehicles whose tax has run out, although if anyone manually checks the vehicle, it will come up as being untaxed.
When a vehicle is purchased it will show on the system as being taxed, until the paperwork is processed. As soon as the paperwork is processed, it will show as being untaxed from the date of purchase.
If the vehicle is purchased in the middle of a month, the new keeper will have to pay from the beginning of that month, and the old keeper will receive a refund from the end of that month. The Government will make an extra month of tax.
However it is possible for the new keeper to pay from the beginning of the next month, though the system will show that the new keeper should have paid from the beginning of the previous month. It is then up to someone at DVLA to decide whether a fine should be issued
If you do not receive a tax/sorn reminder and a fine is issued, the DVLA will inform you that it is not their responsibility if you do not receive it.
By the same token, if you pop £80 cash into an envelope to pay the fine and DVLA do not receive it, it's not your responsibility if DVLA do not receive it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to New road tax system in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock