Currently reading:
New road tax system

Discuss New road tax system in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

All I know is you could buy a motor with say 12months MOT and 6months tax (transferable) now you can't.
And as far as I know the seller can't get their full 6months back either.

Having a little moan - I think it takes the rip roaring hiss that mini cab drivers don't have to pay road tax cos they have low ommission vehicles.
They're still using the roads more than your average punter, and they are generally more of a PITA.

Is non payment of road tax a car crushable offence ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ok I haven't had enough coffee this morning.

Why is that then, I started both threads about 2 seperate topics so why would they get merged.

That was a joke Gmes, I never presume to tell the mods their job.

I clicked on a thread entitled new road tax system and read post after post of moans.

Happy new year.

That was a joke Gmes, I never presume to tell the mods their job.

I clicked on a thread entitled new road tax system and read post after post of moans.

Happy new year.

Apologies Andy I didn't mean to reply like that, I haven't been up long which isn't good for me I don't like these late nights and not having to get up early, I'm used to being on the move from 6am.
See I'm moaning again lol you may have been right the 1st time :tounge_smile:

Yep the death of the road tax disc has caused a slump in the sales of Guinness beer mats.

Interestingly in April 2017, there are changes afoot to the road tax rate, for newly registered cars. My Missus car road tax is currently £20 a year, thank you very much, cos of it's 108 g/km emissions. Same car registered in April 2017 will cost you £140.

And if you stupid enough to buy a car costing £40,000 (or you can and you don't care two hoots), your pay a supplement £310 (for 5 years). The other gas guzzlers will pay a higher fee in first year of registration, and then revert back to the £140 fee.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-duty/vehicle-excise-duty

:dizzy2:

Apologies Andy I didn't mean to reply like that, I haven't been up long which isn't good for me I don't like these late nights and not having to get up early, I'm used to being on the move from 6am.
See I'm moaning again lol you may have been right the 1st time :tounge_smile:

Absolutely no worries,

Would it help if I gave you a call at 6 tomorrow morning? :):):)

Yeah, it's 'catch 22' and the only way around it(without taking it on a trailer) is to pre book a MOT appointment and as long as you drive the most direct way within reason will escape any penalties should you be stopped by the authorities.
but then no tax to get from test centre and that makes it difficult for private sellers.

for example i bought my van off durhamsparky 100miles away

You can drive a vehicle to an MOT test centre and then back home or to a garage for repairs without MOT or tax.

Only if the appointment is pre-booked can you drive to and from an mot test without a valid mot. The same for the trip to a garage for mot repairs, it must be pre-booked.
But you can still be done for any defects on the vehicle if they stop you.
And you may not be covered by your insurance without a valid mot.

You can only drive an untaxed vehicle to and from a pre-booked mot, identity check, weight check
However you cannot drive an untaxed vehicle to a garage for any repairs

Yes it has to be pre-booked, yes technically you can be done for any dangerous conditions, no your insurance is still valid.
They must have changed the law then, as you have always been allowed to take a vehicle from a test centre to a place where repairs can be carried out.

Yes it has to be pre-booked, yes technically you can be done for any dangerous conditions, no your insurance is still valid.
They must have changed the law then, as you have always been allowed to take a vehicle from a test centre to a place where repairs can be carried out.

It depends on your individual policy, they will all claim that they won't cover you without an mot but I think most would provide third party cover only.

According to Schedule 2 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration act (Section 22), we can still take an untaxed vehicle to somewhere for repairs to be made. May have to pre-book.

Here are the relevant paragraphs:
A vehicle is an exempt vehicle when it is being used solely for the purpose of—
(a) submitting it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a specified date) for a compulsory test, a vehicle identity check, a vehicle weight test or a reduced pollution test], or
(b)​
bringing it away from any such test or check.

(1A)​
A vehicle is an exempt vehicle when it is being used solely for the purpose of—
(a)​
taking it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a specified date) for a relevant re-examination, or
(b)​
bringing it away from such a re-examination.
(3)Where the relevant certificate is refused on a compulsory test, or a reduced pollution test,]of a vehicle or as a result of a relevant re-examination,] the vehicle is an exempt vehicle when it is being used solely for the purpose of—
(a)​
delivering it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a specified date) at a place where relevant work is to be done on it, or
(b)​
bringing it away from a place where relevant work has been done on it.

Reply to New road tax system in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock