Discuss UFH8 or UFH8N system in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I recently wired a heating system with a UFH8 manifold and an unvented cylinder.... easy.

Well it threw up a few problems.

Initially I had the time clock live feeding the UFH16, ugh zone valve connected to the valve connection and fired the boiler with the volt free on the pcb LS and LR. Circ pump was from the pcb too.

Unvented cylinder was wired as you would normally, time clock and cylinder stat operating valve, valve firing boiler. High limit stat wired in too.

Heating and hot water worked fine.

Customer then complained that the stats were dead when the heating time clock was off. Which I didn't see as a problem but they wanted to look at the little digital read outs on the stats.

I returned and permanently fed the manifold, but putting the switch live from the time clock through the volt free to fire the boiler.

Problem is there was always a demand for heating so the zone valve was open, pump was running and boiler fire was on, it just wasn't firing the boiler as the time clock wasn't on.

If the hot water came on obviously water started circulating round the heating loop.

In the end I had to turn the ufh valve on with the programmer and fire the boiler and circulation pump with the orange and grey. Leaving the manifold live.

My thinking is they should have supplied me with the uh8-N or is there somthig I am missing that allows me to use all the pcb connections!

This was a plumbers house so he supplied all all the kit.

A diagram of what you have done might help.
Sounds like a sort of S plan but over complicated it.
Are the room thermostats programmable for the UFH? as a pre-programmer is not usually required. As UFH generally never switches off a permanent feed to the manifold is always required and keeps the stats displays active.
Manifold connections for boiler (SL), pumps and valves are usually pretty obvious and some even colour coded so difficult to see how a mistake might be made there.

Agree its difficult to see how it can be done wrong, I'm no idiot but sometimes you miss the obvious.
UFH8 or UFH8N system Screenshot_20221013-192637_Drive - EletriciansForums.net

Agree its difficult to see how it can be done wrong, I'm no idiot but sometimes you miss the obvious.
View attachment 102557
That is the wiring diagram that came with the kit I presume but not the way you have connected it according to original post. I dont quite see where the volt free contacts are needed (LS & LR are not volt free), and why you need to switch the ufh valve through a programmer when there isnt a programmer in the wiring diagram, and boiler and pump through grey and orange?

Reply to UFH8 or UFH8N system in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock