Discuss New to testing... Ze, PSCC & PEFC in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Right, Heres my second go..

This is a TNCS, Better photos..

I know its a peice of cake to most of you but have i sussed it?

I lost my green crock clip, thats why using black one..

(And yes I do like creme eggs!!)

Jutke to say thanks for posting these pictures. I had my Elesca first assessment today which I passed. I had previously printed otf these picture and they were very useful to have on hand and for a quick reminder. Helped reduce the stress a bit.

Blast from the past!

No probs, i know what its like, i worried so much about every little detail on my assesnent, I owe alot of my thanks to this forum.

I used to think that sometimes i would learn more from going through these topics on the forum than i did at collage. Sounds daft but you get straight to the point answers and explanations on here.

Hi, I have only just come across this thread and it is extremely helpful to me. I am part way through my Level 2 at College and doing some testing during the practical sessions. Im ok with continuity and insulation resistance but a bit of live testing is being thrown into the mix by the tutor and I have been a bit confused by the order and procedure of the Ze/PEFC/PSCC tests. These pics and everyones comments are a big big help.

Thanks fellas!

Hi all, new to testing myself, but after looking through a testing book, i've noticed that there are 2 tests that can be done for PSCC. The first one is as the original poster demonstrated in the pics (really helpful BTW) of testing at the incoming supply between L + N. The second being performed at the neutral bar and after the MCB/fuse for individual circuits. I guess the point being that test 1 would be to test to check the main switchgear can handle the PSCC and likewise the MCB can also safely switch it's measured PSCC as well (the book shows 2 different amounts i.e main switch PSCC of 23kA and MCB of .82kA). I get the impression that checking the PSCC for individual circuits is often overlooked or rarely performed. Anyone got any thoughts about this?

Right, Heres my second go..

This is a TNCS, Better photos..

I know its a peice of cake to most of you but have i sussed it?

I lost my green crock clip, thats why using black one..

(And yes I do like creme eggs!!)

First time I've seen this but i am the only one who thinks there is something wrong with pic 2 where the guy thinks he is measuring PEFC?

Also I think the 3rd lead is only required where there is an RCD upstream.

Any thoughts?

Hi all, new to testing myself, but after looking through a testing book, i've noticed that there are 2 tests that can be done for PSCC. The first one is as the original poster demonstrated in the pics (really helpful BTW) of testing at the incoming supply between L + N. The second being performed at the neutral bar and after the MCB/fuse for individual circuits.
One method of testing. It can be done wherever you require on a circuit.

I guess the point being that test 1 would be to test to check the main switchgear can handle the PSCC and likewise the MCB can also safely switch it's measured PSCC as well
Yes.

(the book shows 2 different amounts i.e main switch PSCC of 23kA and MCB of .82kA).
23kA ???

I get the impression that checking the PSCC for individual circuits is often overlooked or rarely performed. Anyone got any thoughts about this?
Probably because it is not recorded anywhere.
Zs, and so PEFC, is done at many points and if this is satisfactory then PSCC, because it is usually higher, will be as well.

The readings on the meter in the pictures do not match up or make sense.

One method of testing. It can be done wherever you require on a circuit.

Yes.

23kA ???

Probably because it is not recorded anywhere.
Zs, and so PEFC, is done at many points and if this is satisfactory then PSCC, because it is usually higher, will be as well.

The readings on the meter in the pictures do not match up or make sense.

Thanks for the reply Geoff. The values i've given are not calculated or anything, they are just given as 2 separate examples with what seem an emphasis on the individual circuits producing a smaller PSCC due to the fact that the smaller conductor size would be higher resistance. The point i was trying to make being that the main switch being able to handle a higher PSCC than the MCB therefore in a fault condition the mainswitch may be able to safely switch the fault but the MCB may not leaving it in a potentialy damaged state after a fault. Seeing as a Live/neutral fault on an individual circuit could potentially produce a higher fault current than a PEFC (CPC being a higher resitance IF smaller than main conductor). Add into the mix RCD's, that only protect earth faults and there is what seems to me a weak link in the chain (at least one that's being overlooked) maybe this is why the book is showing the 2 tests?? All highly speculative and worse case scenario and not sure my chain of thought is correct but i think you can sort of see my logic??

Yes, but just to clarify, if I have understood, the main switch does not disconnect on a fault.

So Zs is to determine that the MCB will operate and Ze, the supply fuse.

I'm not sure what you mean by an RCD being a 'weak link' as they are rated for the same fault current as MCBs.

First time I've seen this but i am the only one who thinks there is something wrong with pic 2 where the guy thinks he is measuring PEFC?

Also I think the 3rd lead is only required where there is an RCD upstream.

Any thoughts?

What an old post!!!

So... What is your method of testing PEFC? How do you carry this test out? It maybe confusing for some people who only have 2 lead testers

Reply to New to testing... Ze, PSCC & PEFC in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net