Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie Here in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dp3

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Dave From Hull, I'm an IT Tech by trade so know a small amount about electrics. I'm a bit of a general DIY'er so hope its okay been singed up here as it seems like mostly budding and established sparkys from what I've read in other intros.

I have just purchased my first house and since as i wont be moving in yet i want to get big jobs out the way first one being a new consumer unit (currently have an old bakelite one) and adding extra sockets - as i'm a firm believer you can never have to many (within reason of course).

Hoping i can get some honest advice here and get pointed in the right direction and will try and chip in where i can.

Thanks,

Dave

Hello all, I'm Dave From Hull, I'm an IT Tech by trade so know a small amount about electrics. I'm a bit of a general DIY'er so hope its okay been singed up here as it seems like mostly budding and established sparkys from what I've read in other intros.

I have just purchased my first house and since as i wont be moving in yet i want to get big jobs out the way first one being a new consumer unit (currently have an old bakelite one) and adding extra sockets - as i'm a firm believer you can never have to many (within reason of course).

Hoping i can get some honest advice here and get pointed in the right direction and will try and chip in where i can.

Thanks,

Dave

for the new CU, any work in a bathroom, and any extra circuits, you should by rights have the work notified to your LABC. this costs around £300 if you are not in a scam ( like niceic,elecsa etc.). if you're cometent to do it and have the test equipment with the knowledge to use it, you could self-certify and worry about the LABC if and when you come to sell.

Ey up Dave, welcome on in. Tel's advice above is spot on regarding work in your own home. I have seen customers bitten in the pocket when building control requirements have not been adhered to.

You should by rights have the work notified to your LABC. this costs around £300 if you are not in a scam ( like niceic,elecsa etc.). if you're cometent to do it and have the test equipment with the knowledge to use it, you could self-certify and worry about the LABC if and when you come to sell.

I know certian work should be notified to LABC but can you explain what you mean by scam in this case? should i avoid niceic/elecsa? i thought they was recognized brands?

Thanks,

I know certian work should be notified to LABC but can you explain what you mean by scam in this case? should i avoid niceic/elecsa? i thought they was recognized brands?

Thanks,

All the schemes generally get called scams round these parts as they are a tax on electricians and no guarantee of quality or safety to the public. Most electricians view them as a cheaper convenience than paying LABC directly, but have no love for the system they represent.

All the schemes generally get called scams round these parts as they are a tax on electricians and no guarantee of quality or safety to the public. Most electricians view them as a cheaper convenience than paying LABC directly, but have no love for the system they represent.

Ahh i understand now, thanks for clearing that up.

Reply to Newbie Here in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back