Discuss power a second consumer unit in the garage from our main consumer unit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi can you power a second consumer unit in the garage from our main consumer unit. We have a big armed cable from the main consumer unit into the garage and can we connect this to a second consumer unit? The armed cable current runs our solor and comes from the fuse in the picture attached.

Attachments

• 16805567766098359761909224865717.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 62
Hi can you power a second consumer unit in the garage from our main consumer unit. We have a big armed cable from the main consumer unit into the garage and can we connect this to a second consumer unit? The armed cable current runs our solor and comes from the fuse in the picture attached.
I suppose it depends on how muscular it is....Sorry!

That's the second CU pic this evening with mixed makes of components!
That’s ok… it’s got an NICEIC sticker that makes it all good. 😉

What I am understanding here is there is an SWA running from this board, through the garage, to the inventor of the PV array.

OP wants to cut this cable, fit a garage CU, then feed/receive the PV from there.

Does this PV circuit include isolator and generation meter at this end?
All that would need to be moved.

Any circuits from the garage CU will need RCD protection

That’s ok… it’s got an NICEIC sticker that makes it all good. 😉

What I am understanding here is there is an SWA running from this board, through the garage, to the inventor of the PV array.

OP wants to cut this cable, fit a garage CU, then feed/receive the PV from there.

Does this PV circuit include isolator and generation meter at this end?
All that would need to be moved.

Any circuits from the garage CU will need RCD protection
Hi yes comes from house bourd to the inverter in the garage. Yes both array and inverter have main power off switches. So can I just remover the armour cable from the inverter power cut off and wire in to a second consumer unit, then wire in the inverter to the new consumer unit?

Attachments

• 20230216_173754.jpg
    781.3 KB · Views: 47
a) Don't think that's an armoured cable (SWA).
b) If it is, I wouldn't describe it as 'big'.
Can I ask why I would need to move the generation meter? And is what I'm thinking ok with what I have in my main consumer unit. Is the fuse its on ok to power a second consumer unit and then power the inverter from the second consumer unit. You said it would need to remover the isolator and generation meter at this end but why and would a consumer consumer unit have rcd protection?

Thanks

Pat

And is what I'm thinking ok with what I have in my main consumer unit. Is the fuse its on ok to power a second consumer unit and then power the inverter from the second consumer unit.

No, it's not the right type of protection for the feed to a consumer unit.

That circuit will have been designed to suit the power being supplied by the inverter and the particular requirements for such a circuit.

I would recommend leaving it alone and getting an few electricians in to advise and quote for what they think will best suit your requirements.

More information needed, what are you wanting to power and how big is the cable. For most electricans a big SWA cable is 30mm diameter or larger.
It will be powering the solar inverter and will need a spare fuse for a possible EV car themat I'm guessing would wire into the spare fuse. And unsure yet but might wire our hot tub into it as it's only a plug and play hot tub and not a 32 amp

No, it's not the right type of protection for the feed to a consumer unit.

That circuit will have been designed to suit the power being supplied by the inverter and the particular requirements for such a circuit.

I would recommend leaving it alone and getting an few electricians in to advise and quote for what they think will best suit your requirements.
Ok thanks and is it wired so it can feed back to the grid so is that why you wouldn't power a second consumer unit from it?

Reply to power a second consumer unit in the garage from our main consumer unit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net