Currently reading:
Rubbish downlight springs

Discuss Rubbish downlight springs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

Been fitting some gu10 downlights supplied by customer. The downlights themselves are ok except the springs are not very strong so when pushing up to ceiling they don't fit right to ceiling every time. The holes are cut at the correct size. Any of you guys had problems with this and any idea how to remedy this that doesn't involve adhesive!

Well they did look like they could e adjusted but when I removed one of te springs it was nigh on impossible to get it back in again! The way they are manufactured the retaining part of the spring was held in very awkwardly not like normal springs that you can just squeeze together and relocate

Been fitting some gu10 downlights supplied by customer. The downlights themselves are ok except the springs are not very strong so when pushing up to ceiling they don't fit right to ceiling every time. The holes are cut at the correct size. Any of you guys had problems with this and any idea how to remedy this that doesn't involve adhesive!

they were robus lights by any chance?

I hate down lighters with a passion ,if any one wants them then I insist they have to be complete LED units , as I wont guarantee normal GU10 as most normal down lighters only have a beam angle of 35 degree's , I have now found some from Deltec with a 60 degree angle fully dimmable metal changeable cowls and very good clips 5 year warrenty and at £25.00 plus VAT fit forget no comebacks

one thing i found with the springs is that if you terminate 2 x 1.5m T/E cables direct into the fitting, these cables will tend to push the fitting down. i always use line products and flex to the fitting.

Tel I would love to for downlights this way also but if you add on the additional cost of a line JB plus wagos plus HR flex for each light if you are pricing against other sparks you have best to no chance of getting job. Customers don't are about ease of installation

I hate down lighters with a passion ,if any one wants them then I insist they have to be complete LED units , as I wont guarantee normal GU10 as most normal down lighters only have a beam angle of 35 degree's , I have now found some from Deltec with a 60 degree angle fully dimmable metal changeable cowls and very good clips 5 year warrenty and at £25.00 plus VAT fit forget no comebacks

I won't install halogen either.

Tel I would love to for downlights this way also but if you add on the additional cost of a line JB plus wagos plus HR flex for each light if you are pricing against other sparks you have best to no chance of getting job. Customers don't are about ease of installation

I never win a quote on price. It's about whether the customer likes you, trusts you, and wants you in their home.

would never install halogen down lights with the twin and earth direct to fitting seen to many cables burn out once you push the fitting up you don't know where the cables are and one of the reasons I refuse to install halogens

Down lighters , wot I recently done was had a choc box's bank of 4 down lighters off each choc box 6 cables in box( it was above one spot so was accessible ) and single cable at each downlight , I must say It worked really well , 2nd fix was a absolute doddle . 1st time I tried it out it will now be my standard installation method with some sort of master joint box . Note also I recently come across led fitting downlighters jcc I think with 3pole blue click plug things .... Really good idea ! About time , previouse installation method mentioned wouldn't be needed to much as connecting of anything with up to 3 t+e would be easily done ( but a bit pricy at the mo )

Reply to Rubbish downlight springs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock