Discuss How to install downlights in this room in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,
Getting the utility room redone at this project house and the misses is absolutely adamant she wants downlights. Couple of reasons for this, firstly better light spread across the room since its long and narrow, secondly ceiling is very low (only around 2m) so I actually hit the existing pendant and I'm 5'9. Doesn't fancy a batten type fitting, which is fair enough since they do look quite commercial.

However with the loft hatch being where it is, even putting a 60⁰ beam angle downlight right next to it would leave the area by the door a bit dark and shadowy, which is the problem we were trying to solve.
Screenshot_20230103_151213_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230103_151216_Gallery.jpg

So I am wondering what peoples thoughts would be on putting a downlight actually in the loft door?

It would have to be on a separate flexible cable run towards the hinge end but in theory it might be ok and it's not like the door is being used everyday? Unusual setup sure but in theory is anything wrong with it from an electrical perspective, obviously cosmetically would just have to be tested and might look too weird.

Thoughts appreciated, or any other suggestions but she is quite set on downlights or at least some kind of lights that are flush to the ceiling.
Thanks!

I wouldn't put one in the loft hatch. What about wall mounted lights in conjunction with ceiling down lights?

I wouldn't put one in the loft hatch. What about wall mounted lights in conjunction with ceiling down lights?
Fair enough I did think it might be a bit of a long shot. That's a good shout actually thanks, could probably find something suitable which would have to go above the door, maybe still a bit unusual but 2m of headspace isn't much to play with! And there are slim wall units going on the wall with all the chasing so no lights can go there, they will have undercabinet lights but doubt they'll work for main room lighting.

You always could go for the teenagers bedroom approach, colour changing LED tape lights and swap the pendant for a glitter ball....

But more seriously, there is room for a couple the small side of the hatch which could be adjustable downlights angled away from the wall, so I could imagine something like this working:
1672761690613.png

I don’t think old halogen downlights were ever a good idea fitted into wood. Whether a loft hatch or a pine strapped ceiling.

The phrase “normally flammable” springs to mind.. but I think that was in manufacturers instructions rather than bs7671.

Shouldn’t be as much of a problem with LED, but sometimes they can get hot too if they develop a fault.

What is the dimensions of the room? Looks to me about 2.5 x 1.5 metre??

Cheers for all the suggestions guys!

The room is 1.3 x 3m. The pictures were taken with the 0.5x lens so it put things rather out of proportion, the small gap on the side of the loft hatch is much smaller in real life however would just about fit a downlight, unsure whether it would technically be far enough away from joists, but probably not that serious for LEDs (was planning on using collingwood H2 lites). However I didn't even think of using adjustable downlights so I might buy one and test it on both sides of the hatch, to be fair it might actually be enough just putting it next to the loft hatch on the long side of the ceiling.

I'll forget the idea of putting one in the hatch seems like there's better ideas!

1.3m wide doesn't give much room for spacing out 2 rows.

Is there any wall units going in above the washing machine there? Under unit lighting there maybe?

A long LED batten fitting might suit better for spreading the light across the room, but still have the problem with the attic hatch.

Couple of 1200mm battens across the room would light the whole place completely and evenly, but hey ho, fashion rules.

The light in the case I wrote of above was a batten fitting at the centre of a tee shaped upstairs passageway. The only place a single lamp would light the whole place without shadow, was in the middle of the loft hatch.

1.3m wide doesn't give much room for spacing out 2 rows.

Is there any wall units going in above the washing machine there? Under unit lighting there maybe?

A long LED batten fitting might suit better for spreading the light across the room, but still have the problem with the attic hatch.
Indeed, was thinking one row in the middle (or as close as possible with joists) between the wall with the door and the wall units which will butt up to the ceiling. Picture of the design is attached, and yes there will be under cabinet lighting which will help but not enough for main room lighting. Agreed a batten would be practically good but to be honest neither of us like the look of them on a house ceiling.

I think frankly whatever we end up doing with downlights or other lights will look a bit odd with the loft hatch there but not much choice.

Indeed, was thinking one row in the middle (or as close as possible with joists) between the wall with the door and the wall units which will butt up to the ceiling. Picture of the design is attached, and yes there will be under cabinet lighting which will help but not enough for main room lighting. Agreed a batten would be practically good but to be honest neither of us like the look of them on a house ceiling.

I think frankly whatever we end up doing with downlights or other lights will look a bit odd with the loft hatch there but not much choice.
Screenshot_20230103_190208_Drive.jpg

At the end of the day it's a utility room, not a shop window display. Remember not to go form-over-function too much.

That loft thatch looks massive from one photo and tiny from the other way like 2 different rooms.

I'd put 4 in, 2 close-ish to the loft hatch and 2 half way from them to the window. Put bright ones in and when she moans about it being too bright show her the dimmer switch. Then she can be right about how bright it should be and wont get to complaining about the placement.

That loft thatch looks massive from one photo and tiny from the other way like 2 different rooms.

I'd put 4 in, 2 close-ish to the loft hatch and 2 half way from them to the window. Put bright ones in and when she moans about it being too bright show her the dimmer switch. Then she can be right about how bright it should be and wont get to complaining about the placement.
Yeah the photos are in 0.5x zoom to try to get the whole room in so are a bit misleading. The hatch is actually unusually big though as a hot water cylinder needs to be able to fit through it, can't remember the exact dimension but don't think it's far off a meter square.

I don't think I can put 4 like you suggest as the width is so narrow especially once the top cabinets are taken into account, so would have to be all be in a row. As for the brightness could use GU10 fittings of course but have used a lot of and grown to rather like the collingwood H2 lites they've got a nice spacious terminal box and good light output. I'm sure she won't complain 😬

Looking at those drawings, there's not much scope to obtain good lighting from downlights.

Maybe some driveway lights in the floor would be more effective 😂
Nope and really any aesthetically nice lighting isn't ideal for the room. I'm hoping the undercabinet lights will be fairly bright to light the countertop well at least, they will be switched with the main wall switch so easy to turn them on with downlights.

Scattergun effect.......put them where you need them.....away from joists, of course.

Did actually come across a light fitted to a loft hatch once.
When you went into the loft, you propped the hatch up against the roof timbers, and it doubled up as an effective loft light.
Batten lampholder on a plug in lead?

Reply to How to install downlights in this room in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net