Discuss Fitting new downlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bluenose1940

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Just looking for a little guidance please. I am sure that this is something that many of you have come across before.

I am replacing the four existing downlights in the upstairs bedroom of our bungalow and am fitting Loceco LED units.

I have run into a problem inasmuch that above the ceiling plasterboard there is what appears to be 100mm thick Celotex insulation panels. I have adjusted the holes for the light fittings to the recommended 75mm but of course the hole is now a more or less solid 75mm by about 115mm thick. This means that the Celotex is stopping the spring-loaded arms from working as they should, i.e. coming down onto the plasterboard and pulling the light uptight against the board.

I wonder if the fitting will hold in the correct position or will I have to dig the Celotex away completely. I should add that there is no access to everything from above as it's all in the apex of the roof.

Many thanks for any input that may be offered.

I know it sounds a bit rough, but I usually jab and carve at the celotex with a knife or plastersaw removing small pieces just enough so I can get the springs to fold down properly

This may be difficult to visualise, I usually do this with difficult ceilings like lathe and plaster but it may work in this scenario.

I use a fitting such as the Ansell edge which has an open inside. Then you can hold the springs up and wrap some insulation tape around to keep the springs that way.

Push the fitting in, then cut the tape through the fitting and the springs will pop down.

I am not sure about these fittings and their rating for being surrounded by insulation so check that.

Thanks for the input chaps, I have done what dustydazzler does and I've chipped away at the Celotex and cleared it away ( a right bl***y mess it caused!) anyway it's all fine now. No problems with the rating re the insulation Cagethebird.

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase some sort of uPVC flange that would fit between the light fitting and the ceiling to cover damage? The fittings that were in when we moved in weren't fitted very well and there are gaps that can be seen arounf each of the lights. The sort of thing I have in mind could best be described as a large washer about 100mm in diameter with a 75mm hole for the light fitting. it would only need to be a couple of mm thick. I thought about making some but when you cut uPVC it ends up with a rough edge. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the input chaps, I have done what dustydazzler does and I've chipped away at the Celotex and cleared it away ( a right bl***y mess it caused!) anyway it's all fine now. No problems with the rating re the insulation Cagethebird.

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase some sort of uPVC flange that would fit between the light fitting and the ceiling to cover damage? The fittings that were in when we moved in weren't fitted very well and there are gaps that can be seen arounf each of the lights. The sort of thing I have in mind could best be described as a large washer about 100mm in diameter with a 75mm hole for the light fitting. it would only need to be a couple of mm thick. I thought about making some but when you cut uPVC it ends up with a rough edge. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.
Jcc do concealer rings JC1005

I removed the incandescent bulbs and replaced them with LED ones with no problems years later and never have had to replace the LED lamps. The ones in my kitchen and in my master bath are on dimmer switches and I used dimmable LED lamps. If a driver fails it is much easier to replace the LED bulb than a mounted LED unit.

Reply to Fitting new downlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net