Discuss Light fitting - CONFUSED?! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for time, firstly.

I am installing an LED bedroom light to the ceiling replacing an existing old light / fan.

The terminal box that the LED light comes with has 2 openings for me to screw in the wires to. Wires attached to this are blue and brown / black.

The mains (coming out of the ceiling) have four wires - two that are red (these seem to be connected together) and two that are dark brown / black.

The instructions are not clear at all. I have no idea which of the 4 wires go into the 2 terminal box openings.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

J

You said the two reds were joined together but that shows them separated.
Can you show the whole of the new fitting, I suspect it is claimed to be double insulated and if that is the case all of those red and black wires require total enclosure and the connector provided will not facilitate that.

You said the two reds were joined together but that shows them separated.
Can you show the whole of the new fitting, I suspect it is claimed to be double insulated and if that is the case all of those red and black wires require total enclosure and the connector provided will not facilitate that.
Here is the whole of the new fitting.

Thank you once again.

It is greatly appreciated.LIght 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought as much that it is apparently double insulated and as such those wires must be enclosed, that connector will not achieve that. You are going to need an electrician.

Hi Westward,

Yes, we have disconnected the old fitting. All that we have is the wires coming out of the ceiling.

I have attached a pic.

Thank you!View attachment 107396

That's a bit pickle you've got yourself into there!
I hope you haven't tried to turn that one because that would be quite dangerous and might even damage your nice new LED light fitting.

There don't appear to be any earth wires in the cables, this is a safety issue you should get a competent electrician to look in to before worrying about decorative changes to the installation.

Reply to Light fitting - CONFUSED?! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net