Discuss Sealing a consumer unit entry points?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

leebut

-
Reaction score
Hello Guys

I'm going to put my Tin hat on and close the curtains so the Regs police can't arrest me for asking this question again, I can only find old threads pre 18th edition so please advise me if I'm missing something

I've just been watching a guy on Youtube doing a board change who's said that to comply with the 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations you must seal ALL entry holes into a consumer unit regardless of them coming through the bottom, top, sides or rear entry with a suitable intumescent mastic to stop the spread of fire into the fabrication of the building!!!

I personally am NOT aware that anything changed in the 18th Edition to say all entry points have to be fire sealed I've been looking online tonight and can only find write ups from "Wiring Matters"

Stating

Sealing of wiring entries
It is important for the installer to seal all openings into the enclosure or cabinet for cables, conduits, trunking or ducting that remain after the installation of cables - see Figure 6. The intent of the sealing is to ensure that, as far as is reasonably practicable, any fire is contained within the enclosure or cabinet and the escape of flames to the surroundings of the cabinet or enclosure or into conduits trunking or ducting is minimised, as intended by Regulation 421.1.201.
Good workmanship and proper materials must be used, and account must be taken of the manufacturer’s relevant instructions, if any.

Regulation 421.1.201 Does not mention sealing any apertures in a consumer unit with, grommets, glands or sealant and does not mention that the Metal clad board cannot be fitted to a timber backboard. So why is the IET saying we are to be sealing the holes , personally I've been installing all my boards with cables entering from behind and mounting my boards on the existing wooden backboards using a length of stick on trunking as a framework around the consumer unit.

Am I wrong???

Just fill the entire board with expanding foam and then gun round the outer edges with an entire tube of fire proof sealant then smooth over with a builders trowel

Last edited:
When this reg first come out, the guidance was only ‘seal’ to the appropriate IP rating as previously mentioned. Then Wylex started flogging intumescent bags to go inside their CU’s, then the grown ups at the IET came out with that crap about contains a fire etc.

On my very last assessment two years ago, my Elecsa assessor suggested just to follow the IP rating, and don’t worry about mounting on wood.

I suspect the next thing, will be not to use plastic raw plugs to fix the CU to none flammable structure.

The world has gone absolutely crazy imo

We are worrying out bloody fire proof foam when there are still 900,000 death trap tumble driers in people homes And miles And miles of flammable cladding still stuck to the outsides of high rises

When this reg first come out, the guidance was only ‘seal’ to the appropriate IP rating as previously mentioned. Then Wylex started flogging intumescent bags to go inside their CU’s, then the grown ups at the IET came out with that crap about contains a fire etc.

On my very last assessment two years ago, my Elecsa assessor suggested just to follow the IP rating, and don’t worry about mounting on wood.

I suspect the next thing, will be not to use plastic raw plugs to fix the CU to none flammable structure.
The plastic rawlplug was brought up at my last assessment, there’s no concern over them as the wall they’re in will support the clips or consumer unit.

This idea of sealing up all the opening with intumescent sealant seems another cash generator to subsidise the cost of changing to metal consumer units

Sealing the entries just makes it awkward for the next person adding or altering circuits.
We are supposed to make allowance for future additions when installing DBs, leave spare ways etc, so stuffing the entries full sticky goo seems counterintuitive.

If you will the CU up with water then they never catch fire..... Job done...

If you will the CU up with water then they never catch fire..... Job done...
Of course water will stop the spread of fire, the CU would need to be IP65 rated to hold the water though:)

Reactions: DPG
You put the water in a plastic bags, silly..... Then when there is a fire the bags burst and put out the fire....
You must work for the London Fire Brigade, what a fantastic idea because the water would then trip the rcd’s and would make the house dead!!

Reading the last few posts,it is not wise
I now fear the Iet will take up this combined fire prevention and power isolation strategy
We should be wary of giving ideas to the folks making up the think tank

That guys a roaster. Shoves wago boxes in ceilings and reckons they are MF - not the way he does em, they aren’t.
He makes out he’s experienced but often says things that suggests he’s a newbie.
Ignore his ideas.

That guys a roaster. Shoves wago boxes in ceilings and reckons they are MF - not the way he does em, they aren’t.
He makes out he’s experienced but often says things that suggests he’s a newbie.
Ignore his ideas.
Who you talking about hope your not talking about me that’s certainly not my workmanship

I’m talking about the YouTube guy you referred to

Reactions: DPG
Are we talking about CHris the handyman youtuber sparky plumber builder Tiler plasterer gezza man

Last edited:
Is it Penry, the mild-mannered janitor?

Cable access into the metal consumer unit must maintain the integrity of the non-combustable consumer unit so far as reasonably practicable. This can generally be achieved by the installer ensuring that cable access holes they make in the enclosure do not to leave gaps greater than: · 1.0 mm for the horizontal top surface and · 2.5 mm for all other surfaces of the enclosure that are accessible after installation. For rear cable access, the minimum number of knockout(s) shall be removed and a cable protector fitted; see illustration above. Tests on hager consumer units have indicated that there is no specific need for external fire rated cable glands or intumescent sealing in addition to the guidance below, with respect to achieving a non-combustible enclosure. However this does not preclude the designer/installer from using fire rated cable glands or external intumescent sealing should they consider necessary. Internal intumescent pads shall not be used.

Cable access into the metal consumer unit must maintain the integrity of the non-combustable consumer unit so far as reasonably practicable. This can generally be achieved by the installer ensuring that cable access holes they make in the enclosure do not to leave gaps greater than: · 1.0 mm for the horizontal top surface and · 2.5 mm for all other surfaces of the enclosure that are accessible after installation. For rear cable access, the minimum number of knockout(s) shall be removed and a cable protector fitted; see illustration above. Tests on hager consumer units have indicated that there is no specific need for external fire rated cable glands or intumescent sealing in addition to the guidance below, with respect to achieving a non-combustible enclosure. However this does not preclude the designer/installer from using fire rated cable glands or external intumescent sealing should they consider necessary. Internal intumescent pads shall not be used.
well done Charlie I could not put it better me self .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealing a consumer unit entry points?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock