Discuss sockets wired in 1.0mm 3 core flex in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Deleted what I wanted to say...

I am speechless....

I'll say it for you,

I can't believe anyone can think leaving the flex in is satisfactory or even complient.
And trying to make a ring out of 1.0mm?
And in a kitchen?

Regardless of what the customer wants or not, it's either a proper job or walk away, even if you've spent money.

This job will come back to haunt you in the future, maybe sooner rather than later.

I can't believe anyone can think leaving the flex in is satisfactory or even complient.

It is my understanding, and I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, is that the fact that flex was used is not the issue here, it's the fact that the CSA is not sufficient.
I had always believed that the reason people use T&E over flex is that flex is much more expensive. As long as the CSA of the cable meets the CCC requirements, surely it does not matter if it is flex or T&E? Am I wrong in thinking this?? Reg No please ?

It is my understanding, and I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, is that the fact that flex was used is not the issue here, it's the fact that the CSA is not sufficient.
I had always believed that the reason people use T&E over flex is that flex is much more expensive. As long as the CSA of the cable meets the CCC requirements, surely it does not matter if it is flex or T&E? Am I wrong in thinking this?? Reg No please ?

I believe you're right, flex could be used, so long as the CSA is adequate for the job. Could actually be easier to work with, but as you say would be too expensive!

To clarify then: "The flex", as in the 1.0mm flex stated by the O.P.

There is a possible benefit in leaving this 1mm flex in place & that is during winter time it could supplement the underfloor electric heating. :)

every cloud etc. ..............

Is it me or are there no de-rating factors for flex, or have I gone blind...

Is the stuff not designed to be free in air and only have some minor weight bearing capability for supporting lamp holders etc...

Or am I talking complete bollox...

Is the stuff not designed to be free in air and only have some minor weight bearing capability for supporting lamp holders etc...

It's also useful for lashing stuff to the roof rack.

Would it not be prudent to apply some derating though? If something can carry 10 amps but is thenfor example, buried under a mountain of tickly wool it's going to have an effect on it

Would it not be prudent to apply some derating though? If something can carry 10 amps but is thenfor example, buried under a mountain of tickly wool it's going to have an effect on it
Very true, I would use the trusty 0.5 method just to be sure. But serious question, are there any installation methods/factors for flex?

There's nothing to say you can't hard wire in flex, there was a long thread about it a few months back and the general concensus was that it's acceptable. You just wouldn't though, would you?

There's nothing to say you can't hard wire in flex, there was a long thread about it a few months back and the general concensus was that it's acceptable. You just wouldn't though, would you?

especially if IT IS 1.0mm on a 32A breaker

Flex has it's place, I'll leave it at that... :lol:

I would be pressuring the client to get the original installer back to rectify the sockets free of charge, why should the client pay for bad work?

Reply to sockets wired in 1.0mm 3 core flex in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock