Currently reading:
Solid fuel HW + CH control wiring help needed

Discuss Solid fuel HW + CH control wiring help needed in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jayjaytb

Hi I have just renovated a cottage and installed a woodburner with back boiler for HW and CH, The hot water system also includes a immersion heater. I currently have a on/off switch to turn on my CH pump. I'm looking to automate the system installing a high pipe stat so as to initiate the pump when the H/W cylinder gets to 60 degrees. I also want to instal a low stat to turn off pump when the cylinder drops below a certain temprature so as to try to prioitise a tank of hot water over C/H. Also I was hoping to fit a 7 day timer to the Immersion so as through the summer months when fire isn't lite I have hot water, also so there's hot water when I come home from work as the fire will have been un lite. I am looking for help with a wiring diagram and to make sure the timer on the immersion will be ok on the odd occasion that I'm home and have the woodburner lite at the same time as the timer kicks in
sorry if this has been covered previously but I have searched relentlessly and cannot find answers to my questions

many thanks
Jamie freeman

With solid fuel, surley the hot water is just gravity fed and is just heated through convection so doesn't require a pump. The central heating will be controlled via a pump so you only need a single channel programmer/ programmable room stat to switch the pump.

Hi thanks for response. Yes the hot water cylinder is gravity fed, the heating pumped. I need a high stat as a safet device so as to ensure the pump kicks in if the cylinder gets to hot (much safer than having a switch that can be forgotten) the low stat to turn it off again when the heat from the fire dies down otherwise it continually circulates cooling the water needlessly. My end goal is to light the fire and not need to touch the control for the pump, also to have the immersion automatically heating water when fires not lite

L eave the immerser on 24/7 because the internal stat will take care of the duty. Set the stat slightly lower than the temp required to be achieved by the solid fuel source.

L eave the immerser on 24/7 because the internal stat will take care of the duty. Set the stat slightly lower than the temp required to be achieved by the solid fuel source.

The fire will only be burning evening and weekends so i wanted a timer to bring the immersion on at 5am/5pm ensuring I have hot water in the morning and when I get in from work. I can't figure out the wiring that's my problem

In the interest of giving an accurate answer to your problem can you tell us whether you are an electrician, apprentice electrician, short course learner, DIYer or other please?

In the interest of giving an accurate answer to your problem can you tell us whether you are an electrician, apprentice electrician, short course learner, DIYer or other please?

I'm a builder by trade and wouldn't attempt the job if it were for a customer but it is my own home so am more than happy to complete the work

I'm a builder by trade and wouldn't attempt the job if it were for a customer but it is my own home so am more than happy to complete the work

Then I'm afraid the best advice you will get here is to have an electrician sort it out for you. I'm sure as a builder you must know one or two you can call on for help/trade favours with etc.

Apart from the obvious danger that is present from all electrical work, there are safety implications to be considered when integrating a solid fuel heat source into a heating system.

Then I'm afraid the best advice you will get here is to have an electrician sort it out for you. I'm sure as a builder you must know one or two you can call on for help/trade favours with etc.

Apart from the obvious danger that is present from all electrical work, there are safety implications to be considered when integrating a solid fuel heat source into a heating system.

The system is an existing one ive just installed a new wood burner so nothing to worry about there. I don't mean to sound rude but I did ask for help with the wiring not help with the legislation and legality of what I'm trying to achieve. I'm well aware I can have everything tested and signed of by a qualified sparky once finished as I have many other alterations to finish. I wouldn't be attending the work if I didn't have enough safety common sense to do so, IM just struggling to get my head around the wiring diagram. Could we try and keep replys to helpful ones please :)

Just put hunter stoves wiring diagram in to google and a PDF download should come up 1st or second option on results But it also says all work should be carried out by a competent electrician.

Last edited:
I'm well aware I can have everything tested and signed of by a qualified sparky once finished

Could we try and keep replys to helpful ones please :)

I'm afraid there is no 3rd party certification scheme in operation for domestic electrical work in England and Wales, under part P of the building regulations only the electrician carrying out the work can certify it. The only other option is to have LABC inspect the work at each stage of the job

My replies are intended to be helpful and give the best possible advice I can to ensure your own and your family's safety along with your work complying with the current rules and regulations.

Reply to Solid fuel HW + CH control wiring help needed in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock