Search the forum,

Discuss split concentric cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
was reading an article in PE today about split concentric cable and it got me thinking......

.....why am I not using this more often? it's much easier to work with!

was reading an article in PE today about split concentric cable and it got me thinking......

.....why am I not using this more often? it's much easier to work with!

Well, for one thing, it's NOT a SWA replacement for direct buried work. It can be a real pig to terminate aesthetically, especially the concentric 3 core. The best means of terminating this type of cable, is with heat shrink cable breakouts.
Not really a lover of the stuff, but i can see useful purposes for it...

It's good to use as mains in flats from a shrouded kmf

no its not as you still need to rcd it if its concealed in walls , which causes discrimination problems with any rcds in the flat CU's.
its a poor mans substitute for swa and does nothing that T&E cant do.

miles of it.
but in undeground highways supplies , not domestic installs.
dont get me wrong its good stuff to use and easy to work with.
but it has little benefits in a domestic property.

It's good to use as mains in flats from a shrouded kmf

Tied on tray up a riser cupboard above ceiling in apartment drop down to distribution board in studded wall more than 50mm no rcd required you can only use 16mm t&e on certain cable lengths
so concentric for me

I'd like to see any photographs of the terminations of split concentric cable that electricians have made. To be totally honest, i've never seen a perfectly made off cable yet, in fact most i've seen have been a complete pig's ear of a job.

As i stated above, one of the better ways to terminate this cable is via a heat shrink 3 spout breakout and heat shrink tubing. Most if not all that i've seen is by using amalgamating tape (and even PVC tape). Now if your skilled with amalgamating tape, there is no reason why you can't make a decent job of it. I'm sure someone like Tony wouldn't have a problem at all.

So why do people think its easier than SWA?

At least with SWA its will be made of properly at each end.

Why is it not listed in the regs for its specifics?

So why do people think its easier than SWA?

well to be honest , it is.
its lighter than a swa of the same csa , its more flexible , quicker to strip back etc etc.
but it usefulness is limited by the fact it still needs rcd'ing.

as far as i'm aware , concentric cable was developed for use by the dno's for their cut-out tails because its alot cheaper than swa and can be worked on live alot easier than swa.

as far as i'm aware , concentric cable was developed for use by the dno's for their cut-out tails because its alot cheaper than swa and can be worked on live alot easier than swa.

They also don't need to terminate to the degree that you will in there service cut-out, the earth strands (TN-S) remain bare, just twisted together and semi dressed to connect into the internal terminal block, or heat shrinked where they run external to the MET....

I've never used or had the opportunity to use this type of cable in the last 25 years of being a sparks......tbh i had to just goggle it to realise it was the name of the cable DNO supplies were installed in....constant learning curve this spark's game....if only the crash course's where around back in the day i might've known all about it already.....

They also don't need to terminate to the degree that you will in there service cut-out, the earth strands (TN-S) remain bare, just twisted together and semi dressed to connect into the internal terminal block, or heat shrinked where they run external to the MET....

If you install a kmf with shrouds you can use tails from mains using a 16mm earth looks alot neater, than having to heat shrink the earths

I’ve only had the chance to use it on one job and that was after a lot of argument. I didn’t have the heat shrink break out boots so I used adhesive lined tube over the two bundled conductors and also the phase. I then finished off with a larger tube over the crutch. Looked OK but would have preferred the proper boot.

Reply to split concentric cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock