Search the forum,

Discuss starting late in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stretch44

Are there any other peeps out there who are or have started training on a C&G course as they approach forty years of age? Almost at the NVQ part, loving all the theory, totally get it but have no practical experience and no contacts in the industry. Would love to hear stories of guys who changed careers around this time of life and managed to make it work as an electrician. Personally, I've Ben a sound engineer for 18 yrs and seriously needed a change and a back up plan. Anyone got any wise words (other than 'forget it!').....?

Thanks, Stretch.

Hope you get somewhere to get hands on. You may have to go self employed road. I retrained and I am in my 40's. The problem I have got is I drive just got nothing to drive. I am waiting on my 2395 inspection and testing results. So this wall fells hard to get over but will do it.

Are there any other peeps out there who are or have started training on a C&G course as they approach forty years of age? Almost at the NVQ part, loving all the theory, totally get it but have no practical experience and no contacts in the industry. Would love to hear stories of guys who changed careers around this time of life and managed to make it work as an electrician. Personally, I've Ben a sound engineer for 18 yrs and seriously needed a change and a back up plan. Anyone got any wise words (other than 'forget it!').....?

Thanks, Stretch.

Far too many actually!! They seem to think a 5 week course will magically turn them into electricians. Hopefully your not one of them, and have gone down the correct road and have gone back to college to obtain a core electrical qualification....

I changed careers from computers to electrics at 35, and am doing the traditional 5-year 'slow' apprenticeship, so yes its definitely possible, you just need to find a suitable employer who will appreciate your value having more 'life experience' than nippers straight out of school. Very best of luck to you!

Stropps.

Started on my 2330 at 24, passed that and 2391 just after finishing and after a few lucky breaks and hard work, both in job and on cv, am comfortable, earning decent money for firm and doing plenty of private work. Only 28 now buy you can successfully change career mate.

Reply to starting late in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock