Discuss Suggestions for 230V 32A interlocked outdoor socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I see a lot more IP44 options, nominally OK for outdoor use (no special area, etc) but wondered if they are OK in practice?

Also if anyone has the good, the bad, and the ugly of related brands.

Not wall mounted sockets as you're talking about, I know, but in the events sector we rarely use greater than 44 on trailing 16/32A plugs/sockets simply down to expense. Mennekes, Lewden.....

Thanks. I was looking at the Lewden horizontal type, and might just use IP44 but have some sort of raid shield for any really rough weather.

It is for occasional use with its own MCB/RCD so very long & reliable life is not critical, there will be a dual 13A outdoor socket in parallel that is likely to see more use.

Thanks. I was looking at the Lewden horizontal type, and might just use IP44 but have some sort of raid shield for any really rough weather.

It is for occasional use with its own MCB/RCD so very long & reliable life is not critical, there will be a dual 13A outdoor socket in parallel that is likely to see more use.
If you think about how a ceeform is designed, so long as the glands are done properly and the shell/housing is intact then there's a fairly long way for water to have to travel before it gets anywhere near the pins.

If you think about how a ceeform is designed, so long as the glands are done properly and the shell/housing is intact then there's a fairly long way for water to have to travel before it gets anywhere near the pins.
It is not so much water getting in to the plug/socket in use that I was wondering about, more the long-term reliability of the socket/switch if water gets in to it.

I guess making sure there is a small* drain hole is enough!

[*] small enough to keep creepy crawlies out.

Reply to Suggestions for 230V 32A interlocked outdoor socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net