Currently reading:
suitable j/box in loft are

Discuss suitable j/box in loft are in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Not a lot to day so yet another question. Got several (about 10) 1.mm lighting cables to join together in a loft space which has about 300mm + loft insulation.
Years ago I would of used a J701 j/box with chocs blocks. Anything better on the market now? Would you guys fix the j/box above the joist level and the remove the insulation so as not on top but still some underneath?

Looks neat, thanks. Basically a few feeds L+N's + a couple of 3 core sw/wires + several cables to lights. Are those boxes pre-wired then? Would that restrict my wiring options as opposed to starting from scratch?
Yes they are pre wired, i have found no restrictions with them. The only downside being that with the short connections on the push fit terminals, if the wires are connected it is hard to tell if one is loose, just takes a little extra checking.

As Dave has said, in its current form it would not comply as there are no cable grips!

I clip the cables once the box is secured.

Although i have been guilty of leaving jbs loose(ish) in certain situations. I only use glands with Wiska boxes when they are either on show or in a potentially damp environment. Because i am a tight arse!

Assuming you are connecting multiple lighting circuits, i have used surewire boxes and they look very neat. Surewire - Pre-wired Maintenance Free Lighting Junction Boxes

Interesting colours in bottom cable 2nd from right... alright, not exactly helpful, but you must admit, observant :sorcerer:

Snap 2014-12-09 at 16.32.08.png

Good point but I've not come across it

It's crap mate. I used it on a rewire then spent 20 minutes identifying the seperate conductors. At least with standard brn/blu you know which is your switch feed and return.

Nice idea but pointless. I am probably going to end up using it as standard t and e and sleeving one of the browns blue lol

It's crap mate. I used it on a rewire then spent 20 minutes identifying the seperate conductors. At least with standard brn/blu you know which is your switch feed and return.

Nice idea but pointless. I am probably going to end up using it as standard t and e and sleeving one of the browns blue lol
why did it take you a long time to find out?

there is writing on the sheath no? top is one bottom is two simples

looks to me that too many "sparks" have too much time on their hands inluding me btw
use screwitts mate
:ack2:eek:r replace the cable?
its not rocket science
3 pages about how to join cables in a roof-------

Reply to suitable j/box in loft are in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock