Currently reading:
suitable j/box in loft are

Discuss suitable j/box in loft are in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Not a lot to day so yet another question. Got several (about 10) 1.mm lighting cables to join together in a loft space which has about 300mm + loft insulation.
Years ago I would of used a J701 j/box with chocs blocks. Anything better on the market now? Would you guys fix the j/box above the joist level and the remove the insulation so as not on top but still some underneath?

Scruits were banned years ago! You haven't been able to get then for years.

It's the even worse American fire nuts that have now appeared over here!

Nah they are back.

Our local electricity center had some in. I hadn't used the EC before and just popped in for a length of MT2 and they tried to sell some to me, i took a freebie and tested it. I couldn't pull the cables out at all but i still wouldnt use them. After i removed the connector it had scored/left a deep thread imprint on the cores.

Not for me i am afraid!

edit: and when i say tested, i mean in the front of my van with 2 " lengths of 2.5 and not on an install!

Nah they are back.

Our local electricity center had some in. I hadn't used the EC before and just popped in for a length of MT2 and they tried to sell some to me, i took a freebie and tested it. I couldn't pull the cables out at all but i still wouldnt use them. After i removed the connector it had scored/left a deep thread imprint on the cores.

Not for me i am afraid!

No way are scruits back! The little ceramic thimbles with a thread moulded in to them and available in two sizes, midget and normal.

I'm pretty sure you would have been looking at wire (fire) nuts, the plastic things with a little metal spring inside

Nah they are back.

Not for me i am afraid!

Bet they aren't the porcelain type, ain't seen dog's for years.

No way are scruits back! The little ceramic thimbles with a thread moulded in to them and available in two sizes, midget and normal.

I'm pretty sure you would have been looking at wire (fire) nuts, the plastic things with a little metal spring inside

Nope i was looking at a screwits, red and yellow thimble with a basic metal conical thread inside that you screwed onto the cable!

Scruits
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418234721.388079.jpg

Wire nuts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418234807.449416.jpg

Id use a geewiz box with stuffing glands and connecting block screwed to the inside of it. Then mount it above the insulation so it can be seen by anyone looking for it up there. Marker pen or label machine on the lid to indicate what it does as well.

10x1.0mm t&e cables?you were right in post no1
j701 and connectors would be my choice fitted on a board and cables marked and clipped would be all I would do
formerly known as the rb4 the joint box has been around in this form since the 70s
have I ever seen one melted or cables burnt to a crisp? No would be the answer.

10x1.0mm t&e cables?you were right in post no1
j701 and connectors would be my choice fitted on a board and cables marked and clipped would be all I would do
formerly known as the rb4 the joint box has been around in this form since the 70s
have I ever seen one melted or cables burnt to a crisp? No would be the answer.
The reason I asked the question was, because on the face of it seems a very basic question but I've been out of the game for about 20+ years and as you know the electrical industry has moved on a great deal. Even more so what with Part P. I've grown up with connectors and I've no problem using them at all. Wasn't sure though, if they still complied with 17th.

Cables should be securely held in place, by glands or clipping up to the enclosure etc so as not to place strain on the connections should the cable be pulled on or the JB knocked.
It is an inspection item on the EICR

We need to educate people on this. Usually most jobs I go to no one bothers there arse. Maybe, because it takes TIME to do a nice, neat and proper job to the regs. I don't know if it's because there are ruff, lazy or they think it is acceptable not to provide restraint for cables

Not a lot to day so yet another question. Got several (about 10) 1.mm lighting cables to join together in a loft space which has about 300mm + loft insulation.
Years ago I would of used a J701 j/box with chocs blocks. Anything better on the market now? Would you guys fix the j/box above the joist level and the remove the insulation so as not on top but still some underneath?
Why do you need to connect 10 x 1.0mm cables into it, what are they for? If its for the upstairs lights, rewire it and use the 3plate loop system and take the JB out if the equasion meaning also that any future work is accessible below the loft area.

Reply to suitable j/box in loft are in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back