Search the forum,

Discuss Testing-Installation & periodic certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

To sell a PIR at £20, then there is either a whole host of limitations, i.e. visual inspection only, or the spark is banking on getting the remedial work out of it and making their money there.

Yooj

Even visual, I dont move for less than £30/hr, and geting to and back from the job plus having a look is going to take way more than 40 mins...........Takes 15mins to have a cup of tea (initial verification of ring main!!!):D

A £20 PIR is going to come back and bite the client at some point, 10% test minimum I would say..........

Your dead right Graeme...The real limitation is that the spark is probably doing a drive-by (if going to the property at all), i.e. property not on fire....That's a Satisfactory!

Yooj

ANY code 1's are regarded as an unsatisfactory.

Code 2's and above normally satisfactory with recommendations etc.

I've always been told that code 1 or 2 is unsatisfactory.. 3 or 4 is satisfactory..

Are you all classing code 2's as satisfactory??

I charge £140 for a PIR up to a 4 bedroom 2 floors 12 circuits, £25 per circuit there after.

Most expensive one I have done is £510:)

How can anyone charge £20? Is this a typo, should it be £200??

I charge £40 to change a light bulb.

i have always gone with...

code 1 something causing imediate danger,i.e live cable hanging or broken fitting exposing conductive parts. defo a fail

code 2 something that is not presenting an imediate danger but is some thing that is unsafe and should not be ignored..i.e open ring reading, no 30mA rcd prot. on socs. fail

code 3 needs further investigation, i.e cant locate where a circuit goes,, pass but would recomend a re-visit

code 4 does not comply with current regs. i.e no rcd prot. on buried cables, no mixed colour warning notices, main bond more than 600mm from gas/water income...pass but long as youv flagged it up on the test sheet

I've been asked to test an existing installation which isn't a problem-the problem is can a certificate be issued if all is fine BUT the consumer unit is to the 16th edition? It could turn into an expensive job to make everything RCD protected! The same question but in relation to periodic inspection certificates.....:confused:
how do you mean expensive, you would heave to change the board or what size of a board is it??:confused:

So when i come across an old fuse box ig-wylex rewireable fuse's type ! im right to recomend a new consumer unit like a split load double rcd as to 17th edition?? chances are the earth bonding is under sized also!!

So when i come across an old fuse box ig-wylex rewireable fuse's type ! im right to recomend a new consumer unit like a split load double rcd as to 17th edition?? chances are the earth bonding is under sized also!!

You can recomend to my mrs that I take her shopping in a roller :)
That doesn't mean I either want or require that roller

You can't make sweeping statements about an installation based on the board being a particular type of permissable overcurrent just because its not what is usual at the moment

My own view on the domestic shambles is,get rid of installation registration and regulate PIRs

At a guess I would estimate 85% of inspections are not worth the paper they are printed on
A claim for insurance and the competence of the inspector will be looked at

Insurance companies are happy to accept the toilet paper PIRs because it is a very conveniant excuse to not pay out if it came to the nitty gritty

My own view on the domestic shambles is,get rid of installation registration and regulate PIRs

At a guess I would estimate 85% of inspections are not worth the paper they are printed on
A claim for insurance and the competence of the inspector will be looked at

Insurance companies are happy to accept the toilet paper PIRs because it is a very conveniant excuse to not pay out if it came to the nitty gritty
nail & head spring to mind.
the set up is a shambles with far to many grey area's.

The guys charging £20 a periodic are a disgrace and need shooting, it sounds cheep even if they are making them up after being emailed a piccy of the consumer unit by the client.

Sounds like bullcrap to me.

Reply to Testing-Installation & periodic certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back