Discuss What testing tools are needed ? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm actually at college and I'm 30 on the 27th. My family will be buying me a gift, but don't know what to get me... So I thought they could all can chip in and get me something I actually need. Or will need in the future.
A fundamental test tool is a 2 pole tester, needed many times a day every day to prove something is dead or find out why the heck it isn't live when it should be!

Lol thanks for that.

I'm actually at college and I'm 30 on the 27th. My family will be buying me a gift, but don't know what to get me... So I thought they could all can chip in and get me something I actually need. Or will need in the future.
Get a MFT you are going to need one so get it early and learn to use it.

Get a MFT you are going to need one so get it early and learn to use it.

Really appreciate that.
Would that be in affiton to the 2 poll tester you mentioned above ?

Also which MFT would you recommend. I would say my budget is between 3 to 400. As I'd get them all to chip in rather than buying separate presents for me .

2 pole tester measures voltage and continuity. Fluke are reliable, but there is four in the range with vastly different pricing. T90 is basic, but does the job perfectly well. T150 is top of the range, with phase rotation if that might be useful.

Multifunction testers start just above your budget with the DL9110. I have one and it works perfectly well, covering most functions you'll need. Some folks don't rate them, although few have actually used one. Top end of MFTs will set you back £2k, with quite a few extra functions, including EV if you need it and wish to buy extra attachments.

Would that be in affiton to the 2 poll tester you mentioned above ?
The 2 pole is a must - any time you work on an installation it's the way you prove it's safely isolated. See "Safe Isolation Procedure" videos on youtube.

Also which MFT would you recommend. I would say my budget is between 3 to 400.
Unfortunately that won't be enough for a new one that does the 4 things you need (loop tests, insulation resistance tests, continuity tests and RCD tests.)
One of the cheapest decent new ones is this one:

If you are set on an MFT then find a 2nd hand 1552 or 1553 coming with a 12 month calibration certificate (proving that it works) from a seller that accepts returns. Usually £300 tops would get you one.

The 2 pole is a must - any time you work on an installation it's the way you prove it's safely isolated. See "Safe Isolation Procedure" videos on youtube.

Unfortunately that won't be enough for a new one that does the 4 things you need (loop tests, insulation resistance tests, continuity tests and RCD tests.)
One of the cheapest decent new ones is this one:

If you are set on an MFT then find a 2nd hand 1552 or 1553 coming with a 12 month calibration certificate (proving that it works) from a seller that accepts returns. Usually £300 tops would get you one.

Thanks so much that's was so helpful.

I think I'll get the fluke t150. As you dn nicebutdim has also recommended it.

I think at this stage an MFT would be too expensive to buy. Is this also a staple item to buy in the future like 2 poll? If working mainly in homes and small businesses?

Anymore testers like the 2 poll worth buying now?

An MFT will do everything a two pole tester does plus a lot more, it's just a bit cumbersome to use just for isolation and continuity.

I use a Fluke top of the range MFT, I initially bought at the mid point of the range, but soon realised it did not do all that I wanted so bought the top of the range 1664FC, lots of MFT's do not test ground spike's and I needed this as I was operating in France mostly and the auto test function was very handy, I bought it off E-Bay for £540.00 with a current test certificate, probably a bit OTT for someone just starting out, but you do get what you pay for, if you go this route look for something with lots of extras included as you will need them eventually and they add up rather fast to a substantial amount of monies.

Merry Christmas to one and all, it's 0130 on the 25th and I am just about to put the Turkey in the oven, must remember to switch the oven on this year. 🥴

Last edited:
No electrician in their right mind is going to use an MFT to check if a supply is dead when hanging off the top of steps or in a cramped, dusty loft.

Regardless of what an MFT can do, both it (or separates) and a 2 pole tester are essential kit.

Merry Christmas to one and all. It's 6am and I forgot to switch my alarm off 🤦‍♂️

Regardless of what an MFT can do, both it (or separates) and a 2 pole tester are essential kit.
<= This!

It is not just the issue of size and weight for testing, it is the safety aspect. A voltage tester does one* thing, and does it well, it lacks knobs and dials that can lead to mistakes in setting it and the risk of not detecting a dangerous voltage.

The most basic ones are only voltage, they have a handful of LEDs and don't need a battery. The only precaution in use, which applies to all test equipment, is you need to know it is working in the first place. For that you get a "proving unit" which is basically a battery powered device that generates 115-400V at safe current limits to allow you to test your tester. At a push you test a known live circuit first, and then you have reasonable confidence the tester is working to test an unknown circuit you intend working on.

[*] Some of the 2-pole voltage testers also check continuity, so they need batteries, and some claim to be "self proving" where the continuity aspect (or similar) is used to verify the tester is working OK.

There are many to chose from, but generally I would go with a cheap-ish but recognised tester. My own one is this:
The proving unit i have is this:

I also have a simpler tester that lives in the boot of my car just in case I need it:
While the bleep of the continuity can be annoying (e.g. when checking N-E it makes a noise as they are linked so have continuity, but on live it makes a different noise and shows which voltage) I found it odd not having it, as in the absence of the proving unit I took to touching the probes together to see the continuity sound/LED as basic evidence it was working.

EDIT: Here is an example of a "self proving" tester:

Reply to What testing tools are needed ? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net