Search the forum,

Discuss Whats the oldest type of wiring sytem you have had to work on/repair/replace in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

used to see that festoon cable and spike lamp holders on 110V site lighting.

About 10 years ago I went out to a lighting fault on a rental property. When I got there I found an old wooden re-wireable fuse board, VIR cable..., The lighting fuse had blown. The cable looked in very poor condition so I decided to do a quick visual inspection throughout the property. There was no floor covering down on the landing area and I could see exposed cables in the gaps of some floor boards. So I decided to pull up a long board which had evidence of being up before. As a I pulled up the board I could smell and hear the flow of gas.

Some idiot had nailed the floor board down through the main lead gas pipe along its length - around half a dozen nail holes. In addition the VIR cables had perished, conductors exposed and were draped over the lead pipe, trapped between the floor board, pipe and joists.

I have never seen anything like it before or since. This was a rental property and the tenant was a young woman with 2 toddlers!

It gave me nightmares, to think what could have happened.

Hasten to say, we got it re-wired pretty sharpish!

Found this unusual cable in an old council house. I think it was used in pre-fab steel framed houses after the war. I was going to send some to Lucien but unfortunately couldn't gain access after the work.

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/67pvfy2.jpg https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/Ei8Y6Xl.jpg

Last edited:

Reply to Whats the oldest type of wiring sytem you have had to work on/repair/replace in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back